• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st. flintlock flash in pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got around to doing a flash in the pan test. Curious as to how I would react to a flint going off in front of my face. It didn't freak me out as I did make a deal out of watching the sights. This gorgeous rifle and I are probably going to become good friends over time.

Attachments

• 361.JPG
    361.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 365.JPG
    365.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 365.JPG
    365.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 360.JPG
    360.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 197
Congrats that’s only part of the battle...

Great advice has already been given.

Conditioning is another thing, being able too
hold steady and gently squeeze off a round is another.

Young eyes , reflexes, and strength are a plus.

Great looking rifle , may y’all share many journeys.

fine looking rifle. when I do occasionally suffer a flash in the pan, it's not that I don't see it, more like I don't really notice it except to think, now there's supposed to be a bunch of smoke, and then I can keep the sights on for a three count and let things relax … where's the cloud of smoke?

oh darn! ...

I finally got around to doing a flash in the pan test. Curious as to how I would react to a flint going off in front of my face. It didn't freak me out as I did make a deal out of watching the sights. This gorgeous rifle and I are probably going to become good friends over time.
I remember when I first started shooting flint, it was like wow, that flash is spooky. The gun didn't go off half the time and being a newbie, I struggled. The more it didn't go off the flincher I got. The fine lock you have there should give consistent ignition. Just shoot it as though it is any other gun doing your breathing, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and follow through. You will do fine with a little practice. I am a RH shooter and shooting the left lock on my 12 ga double, could make it even flincher for a novice. I don't even notice anymore.
Flintlocklar

Started flinter back in the 70s, now to me it’s just the way the gun shoots. I notice no delay, it feels to me instantl. I’ve long since stopped noticing it in any way. You will too.;)

What Gren says. Seriously, I'm not kidding, I do not see any flash when I shoot. Totally unaware of what just went on with the cock, frizzen, and pan. It actually kind of puzzles me. But I'm very much into 100% concentration on the sights, and follow-through. I have had very few, maybe two, flashes in the pan, ever, but I can see where if you started off shooting a flintlock, and flashes in the pan were common, it would have an effect. On the occasions that my pan did just flash, and no boom, I was a little more aware of it, but not much.

What Gren says. Seriously, I'm not kidding, I do not see any flash when I shoot. Totally unaware of what just went on with the cock, frizzen, and pan. It actually kind of puzzles me. But I'm very much into 100% concentration on the sights, and follow-through. I have had very few, maybe two, flashes in the pan, ever, but I can see where if you started off shooting a flintlock, and flashes in the pan were common, it would have an effect. On the occasions that my pan did just flash, and no boom, I was a little more aware of it, but not much.

Me exactly. I really never paid any attention to it. Its not near what you build up in your mind. During daylight hours you dont even see any flash. Just some smoke. People watch slow motion film of it and think you see this fireball. In reality its nanoseconds and a puff of smoke. You'll do fine just keep your eyes on the target.

The more you familiarize yourself with the workings of a flintlock, the less you will see or concentrate on the flash. You will see the smoke though. I fired at a large doe this past deer season, and with the way the breeze was blowing the pan smoke totally obscured the deer. I missed as a result......Just part of the game. Had a similar incident last year only when the smoke cleared the doe was on the ground and didn't get up again.

The more you familiarize yourself with the workings of a flintlock, the less you will see or concentrate on the flash. You will see the smoke though. I fired at a large doe this past deer season, and with the way the breeze was blowing the pan smoke totally obscured the deer. I missed as a result......Just part of the game. Had a similar incident last year only when the smoke cleared the doe was on the ground and didn't get up again.

Sid, I hate to tell you this, but the smoke from the pan smoke obscuring the deer was not the likely cause of the miss. The ball was long past the end of your barrel when you saw the smoke. I suspect the breeze had more effect on alignment of the rifle and pushing the ball in flight. Proof is your previous experience.

Yes, that's a frame taken from a video. I had shot a deer earlier in the day and this was back at camp, and I was shooting the second load out to clean the rifle. (.62 Jeager) The deer had dropped on the spot, but I always quickly re-load no matter what.

The interesting thing is that comet or meteor, or fireball, which is coming directly out of the touch-hole. (even though it's coming out at an upward angle) Have never seen anything like that, and would not have without running the video frame-by-frame. !!

Sid, I hate to tell you this, but the smoke from the pan smoke obscuring the deer was not the likely cause of the miss. The ball was long past the end of your barrel when you saw the smoke. I suspect the breeze had more effect on alignment of the rifle and pushing the ball in flight. Proof is your previous experience.

True, I will agree with this, but I had to blame the miss to my buddies on something that took the blame off the shooter......

When I reenact, I shoot a lot of blanks through my long land pattern musket. There is a pretty large ball of fire in the pan as well as a large cloud of fire from the muzzle. I have found that as consequence of firing all those blank rounds and experiencing all that smoke and noise, shooting my rifles has improved my follow through and I am comfortable enough with the flash in the pan that I am seldom bothered by it. My flinching is greatly reduced and my tendency to jerk the trigger is all but eliminated.

So its back to the original premise, with an actual experience, that practice and familiarity are your best aids to getting the best performance from your firearm.

Back