• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1st build, Pedersoli Pennsylvania

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inShane64

32 Cal
Reaction score
My first kit build. A Pedersoli Pennsylvania from Dixie in 45 caliber. It doesn't come with a lock plate. I would like to have one. Looking on TotW I see several plates. Are these plates standard sizes?

20220622_165414.jpg

You can make a side plate of any size or shape from a piece of brass. Here’s one I made for a kit that didn’t have one.
49E35F97-03EC-4005-8E46-A662306C3BFB by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Theres a lot of opportunities to modify that kit to suit your tastes and skill level. Add a patch box, thin down the fore arm, cut an accent line what ever! Start with light pencil lines on the stock to see what you might like.

I'm with Phil. Sideplates are easy to make. Buy a piece of sheet brass from the hardware store. A piece that's 1/16 thick, and about 3 inches by 10 inches costs about ten bucks. You can make several side plates from that piece of brass. One commercially produced side plate will cost you at least that much.

I scrolled one of the muzzle loader parts websites until I saw a plate style I liked, then simply copied it and changed a few things to suit my taste. Easy to do.

I didn't think about making one! I'm just used to the new guns that you just buy parts for.

It doesn't have a plate from the factory. Here is a picture. I should probably just leave it, but I feel the need to tinker.

20220626_214743.jpg

Also I am a bit disappointed that the manufacturer markings are so deep. I had hoped to mark it with my own.
20220626_214756.jpg

I didn't think about making one! I'm just used to the new guns that you just buy parts for.

It doesn't have a plate from the factory. Here is a picture. I should probably just leave it, but I feel the need to tinker.

View attachment 146691
A lot of the commercially produced guns just inlet bushings like that in order to ease the build process. You can leave it alone or very easily make a plate to fit the two holes. Inlet to the depth of the bushings or just above, and no one will ever know the difference.

here's how I dressed up a tradations Kentucky I added a side plate and inlet some wire and hand cut brass, my first attempt at building. others will chime in with much better first builds inlets JUST have fun( my grandson likes red)
DSC03288.JPG

DSC03291.JPG

As Phil mentioned, make you own. I didn't like the one that came with my hardware, so I made one out of a piece of scrap sheet metal. It's plain and simple like the rifle.

IMG_5577.jpg
IMG_6100.jpg

Back