• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1st 2 Squirrels of 2020

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shot my first 2 squirrels in Indiana this season. Used my trusty ole GPR .54 with 35gr. 3f.
1st 2 Squirrels of 2020.jpg

Outstanding! Our season opens in a week and a half and I am counting down the days. I don't think I have ever been looking forward to it more than this year. My 12 year old son is a squirrel addict as well and we have been shooting our 32 calibers and getting them dialed in for the big day. Thanks for sharing your hunt and getting us fired up even more. Oh and by the way, that is some GREAT shooting. Proves that a large caliber rifle can and does make a fine small game gun if you know how to shoot. Well done.

My buddies And I canceled our western elk hunt this year for various reasons and we are going to camp in the ozarks and squirrel hunt instead. I’ve been dialing in my .32. My buddies will likely go with modern guns but I’m gonna give them heck with the black powder.

And I’m kinda curious if you’re using the stock sights on that GPR? Mine is a great deer rifle but the sights are not really fine enough for me for squirrels.

Outstanding! Our season opens in a week and a half and I am counting down the days. I don't think I have ever been looking forward to it more than this year. My 12 year old son is a squirrel addict as well and we have been shooting our 32 calibers and getting them dialed in for the big day. Thanks for sharing your hunt and getting us fired up even more. Oh and by the way, that is some GREAT shooting. Proves that a large caliber rifle can and does make a fine small game gun if you know how to shoot. Well done.
Yes, the larger calibers can make a squirrel ready for the pot, but only in states that trust the peasantry with the sense to use guns responsibly. Unfortunately, Arkansas decrees no larger than a .40 caliber for tree rats. I can't tell you how many squirrels I killed in East Texas with my first muzzleloading rifle, a .45 CVA Kentucky. Five silly calibers difference. Yes I prefer a smaller bore, but I also prefer it not to be dictated to me by folks who have probably never even held a muzzleloading rifle, much less hunted with one. God bless Indiana, where common sense prevails.

And I’m kinda curious if you’re using the stock sights on that GPR? Mine is a great deer rifle but the sights are not really fine enough for me for squirrels.
I'm using the Pedersoli ghost sight on the back and the Lyman medium globe sight on the front with a circle post insert. That set-up works very well as long as you have enough light to see through them.

Yes, the larger calibers can make a squirrel ready for the pot, but only in states that trust the peasantry with the sense to use guns responsibly. Unfortunately, Arkansas decrees no larger than a .40 caliber for tree rats. I can't tell you how many squirrels I killed in East Texas with my first muzzleloading rifle, a .45 CVA Kentucky. Five silly calibers difference. Yes I prefer a smaller bore, but I also prefer it not to be dictated to me by folks who have probably never even held a muzzleloading rifle, much less hunted with one. God bless Indiana, where common sense prevails.
Yeah I’m in Arkansas as well. I’d love to try some squirrels with my Lyman but won’t get the chance anytime soon. Until then, my Crockett will have to get the job done

Sept. 1st for Ohio ... Squirrel, dove, early goose and teal, .... Really looking forward to it this year after all the craziness

Back