• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1lb =7,000. Or does it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, who gives a damn? Shoot until you run out, then get some more. I would pretty much guarantee that you will never get the exact same number of shots per pound, unless you can account for every single variable in your loading procedure. Impossible to do unless you are a machine; just load up and enjoy the bang. Some things just aren' t worth the trouble to figure out.

1) Grains are a measure of weight. 7000 grains make up a pound.

2) If you still have the original packaging that came with your adjustable brass powder measure, it will say Calibrated For Black Powder on it.

While you may be using the measure volumetrically, you're using a measure that was specifically sized so that volume and weight are more or less the same.

Knowing that when you measure out the Black Powder you do so by volume. But when you buy it it is by weight. I know there is 7,000 grains in a pound by weight but what is it by volume? Is it the same 7,000 or different?
Well I for one do all my loading by weight not Volume. There are a lot of people I personally know that load by weight.
But I understand what your saying other wise.

That's easy... get a pound and a powder measurer, and some paper and pencil and see for yourself. We'll be awaiting the results.
When I roll cartridges for the demos at work, a pound of 3F is pretty precisely 100 tubes at 70gr. Only 78 of the 90 grain cartridges, and sometimes the last one is a scosh light.
Jay

Knowing that when you measure out the Black Powder you do so by volume. But when you buy it it is by weight. I know there is 7,000 grains in a pound by weight but what is it by volume? Is it the same 7,000 or different?
It seems that you have too much free time on your hands.

Had a musketoon that said 3 drm black powder only on the barrel

The Birmingham Proof House, not far from where your Musketoon was likely made, still uses drams for black powder proofing. However, actually shooting it with that load can be a might lively. The Service load for the Musketoon was the equivalent of 60gr of fine rifle powder - by today's American standards, 3Fg, but by contemporary British standards, the equivalent of 2Fg. I shoot the latter in mine.

I was trying g to figure out how many bangs I can get per pound, or pretty close to it.
Well I can't speak for how many other folks get, but with a powder of 3Fg for blanks in my Bess, a pound of powder will give me 70 cartridges of 100 grains of powder each. And I shoot about 35 cartridges per "battle" at reenactments, SO...IF..., I plan on attending both the Saturday and Sunday battles, then I plan on burning a whole pound of powder over the weekend. THEN I simply count up the weekends where I plan to participate, and I know how much powder I need to have for the year of reenactment.

LD

IMO, yes, it is possible to divide any weight by a volume.
In the case of black powder the answer turns out to be around 257 grains per cubic inch of volume.
This means if your powder measure has a volume of 1 cubic inch, when it is filled with powder there will be about 257 grains by weight of black powder in it.

I say, "around" because as was pointed out above by several members, the actual density of the powder varies depending on the fineness or coarseness of the powder. Being a powder, there is more airspace between the granules of course powder than there is with fine powder so the fine powder is slightly denser per cubic inch or per cubic centimeter.
Also the powder weight will vary depending upon humidity.

You don't need to be a genius or math-whiz -

Divide 7000 by the weight of the load you intend to use e.g - 100gr = 70 shots

It is not possible to divide ANY weight by a VOLUME.

It's the same as dividing an area by gallons.
If you have an area that requires 50 cubic yards of fill. How many tons of stone do you order?

Back