• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1lb =7,000. Or does it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you shoot 70 grain loads you should get 100 shots per pound. But what about spillage? I spill a lot more now at my age than I did 25 years ago so what's average for spillage on a calm day?

Sorry getting a head ache doing so much ciphin' while not yet drunk enough to.

Plus priming.
Technically there are not 7000 grains in a pound a pound equals grains 7000, or correctly grains DCC.
The museum of the fur trade has an old adjustable measure marked in grains, but often Guns in the old days fired drams of powder, and pints of powder was sold instead of pounds

Cubic centimeters are a whole lot better than stretched out ones.
View attachment 70252

When they are in the shape of a cube their a lot easier to step on and squish.

As for this thread, there are some new members who are just learning about black powder and how it is measured for muzzleloading. This thread is for them.
If you don't want to read the postings in it, I suggest that you just skip over it and go on to the next thread that interests you.
Cubic Centipeders?

My little 32 does nicely on squirrels with 10 gr. I get so many shots out of a pound I just loose count. 700+-?

Knowing that when you measure out the Black Powder you do so by volume. But when you buy it it is by weight. I know there is 7,000 grains in a pound by weight but what is it by volume? Is it the same 7,000 or different?
The density of black powder is consistent. Mass/volume

So if you know the mass that you want, you can calculate the volume.

Is the density consistent? Fiber grain hound be more dense per volume, corset less dense.
mid Swiss, GO and Schutzen equal? Is a 70-15-15 equal to a 70 -17-13?
I fill a measure but I couldn’t tell you what it weighs

A pound is a pound (weight, not talking anything else). A pound of gold is a pound of gold. Don’t convert it to troy ounces folks. Keep it at a pound. No matter what, if I want a pound it will weigh out at a pound! Tis a fact for sure!!
Want another fact? There is 7000 grains in a pound. No ifs, ands or buts about it! Fact!!
Whatever means you personally use to measure your personal charge weight (volume, weight, density, drams or even tea cups) is of no consequence. Do your own personal calculations as to how many shots per pound you’ll get.
Walk

What is heavier? A Gallon of fresh vs. a gallon of salt water.

What temperature are they? And what atmospheric pressure and what altitude and is that an imperial or a US Gallon?????? Which salt? Is that the only impurity?
For the Month Python peeps. Is it being carried by an African or European Swallow??

So I googled it:

1.7 g/cm³

Modern corning first compresses the fine black powder meal into blocks with a fixed density (1.7 g/cm³). In the United States, gunpowder grains were designated F (for fine) or C (for coarse).

So if you shoot 70 grain loads you should get 100 shots per pound. But what about spillage? I spill a lot more now at my age than I did 25 years ago so what's average for spillage on a calm day?

Sorry getting a head ache doing so much ciphin' while not yet drunk enough to.

We have absolutely NO control over how much you throw away by spilling it. Of course, I'm working on the principal that you are asking a serious question, but if you are just joshing with the rest of us, for Pete's sake give it a rest - this mixing of measurement standards sure is getting tiresome.

it has got to be rather close
I typically buy in 25 pound sacks

Schutzen 3Fg when measured by volume in my measures comes out within about 2 gr of what I set . when weighed on the scale

I have a couple of fixed 30gr measures that always seem to make 27gr I just know that they are always that little bit light.

Subs do not follow this and some black may not be as close

Back