• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1Fg?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muskets shooting a solid bullet use coarse grain powder, 1Fg is good.

Shot is another matter. There getting the pressure higher, quicker gives better patterns. Hence 3Fg is preferred for shotguns.

Read what was written back in the 1800's

Used both 1F and 2F in my 12 gauge and 20 both grades work well with 1F gave lower pressure but had to use more 1f 90 grains in the 20 g and same load in 12g cheaper to use 2ff use less cost less and still bust clays to bits

smooth bore muskets are not and never were truly accurate weapons .They are however Just as effective as any rifle out to 100 yards and quite accurate at 50 yards in good hands,and if loaded as originally intended .There is quite a misunderstanding about the cal of the Brown bess the kings gauge which is .74 inch to.78 inch the correct ball issued to the services is .690 inch no more no less the charge is the modern equivalent 3 drams 81 grains of course black powder 1 fg not 2fg and never 3 fg or 4fg you prime with 1fg yes you actually do .why 1f burns slower thus a more even and longer burn in a long barrel helps stabilize no bounce the balls donot rattle out the gun barrel average velocity is about 1200 ft per second.1f
Britsmoothy, do you get more range or penetration with your loads because I have no trouble with a 60 grain load of 1f to cleanly kill squirrels and rabbits at 25-30 yards. How much more range do you get with your loads.
I have taken turkeys at 30 + yards with 80 grains of 1f and 1&1/8 load of no 4 shot with my 75 cal matchlock musket several phesants and many rabbits and squirrels with sameload except I used no 6 shot .Good wading over the powder is essential in muskets when shooting shot no matter what powder you use the longer the barrel the better my Brown Bess 3 model East India pattern has a 75 cal 39 inch barrel excellent with shot My Matchlock muskets both have 75 cal 44 inch barrels even better .

Back