• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1Fg?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Not afraid of recoil but wanna know when the smoke clears theys a critter at the end waitin for the stew pot!

I agree which is why I went back to 2Fg, from the 1Fg. 80 grains puts squirrels in down with #6 shot.
My 1Fg resulted in a lot of angry squirrels...., and no joy.

LD

Brit some of the muskets I use are round barrel profile and thin walled, so a lower pressure is better for safety. I have read lots of your posts and I see that you prefer the finer grained powders, and your results usually look pretty good. My results with 1-F have been good, but it is mostly confined to squirrels and rabbits when using shot. When using round ball in the 69 & 75 cal. the 1-F has provided me good accuracy and less recoil.

I use old tuna cans LOL.

Ya when I had my 10GA I was loading skychief loads (w/o ever hearing about it) cuz in my blk pwdr shtgn infancy I believed the this card would never do to hold the shot down so loaded the thicker one on top!

Brit some of the muskets I use are round barrel profile and thin walled, so a lower pressure is better for safety. I have read lots of your posts and I see that you prefer the finer grained powders, and your results usually look pretty good. My results with 1-F have been good, but it is mostly confined to squirrels and rabbits when using shot. When using round ball in the 69 & 75 cal. the 1-F has provided me good accuracy and less recoil.
With respect. When you say " better for safety ", what evidence is that based on?

Less recoil is only due to lower velocity and not a direct function of powder grain size. Good accuracy only comes from a happy barrel and lock and stock marriage.
Like any marriage, if hi pressure comes along and the marriage is not good it will fail or perform poorly!

I use old tuna cans LOL.

Ya when I had my 10GA I was loading skychief loads (w/o ever hearing about it) cuz in my blk pwdr shtgn infancy I believed the this card would never do to hold the shot down so loaded the thicker one on top!
Man up and get some 4f down in there and enjoy the revelation of efficiency and awe 😁

The different powder granulations have different burn rates which, given the same volumetric load, results in different velocities and pressures for each grain size. So the same amount of 1-F will produce a different outcome than the same amount of say 3-F with the finer grains producing more pressure and I believe more velocity than the coarser grains. Barrel strength is related to the material utilized in its construction. In the thinner barrel walls that I have, the lower pressure is safer. As for evidence, I am not a gunsmith, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
skwerl

Same for me buddy, them wounded squills are savage!
Britsmoothy, do you get more range or penetration with your loads because I have no trouble with a 60 grain load of 1f to cleanly kill squirrels and rabbits at 25-30 yards. How much more range do you get with your loads.

Britsmoothy, do you get more range or penetration with your loads because I have no trouble with a 60 grain load of 1f to cleanly kill squirrels and rabbits at 25-30 yards. How much more range do you get with your loads.
Not sure how to answer. I don't really get any extra range but that last goose was a long way.
I do like 60gn of my finest in my Beretta 12g.
Every gun is slightly different.
A 12g flintlock is quite efficient on 60-70gns and 1oz plus but a 20g flintlock likes a similar amount to work nicely.

I have tested very course powders in all my guns and it performed worse. Its power out put is certainly lower.
Maybe with #4 shot it would be better but then pellet count is down.

Na, I like pressure and a good healthy recoil, leave the wads associated with shotgun cartridges and I'm good.

I use old tuna cans LOL.
Empty or full cans? My copper plated 5's go through round top and bottom of a full can with 2F or 1f I do use 20 grains more of 1f. It all depends on what I have on hand at the time.

I don't worry about the extra 1f needed as Those are hunting loads and how many of them do we get of those per year anyway.

Not sure how to answer. I don't really get any extra range but that last goose was a long way.
I do like 60gn of my finest in my Beretta 12g.
Every gun is slightly different.
A 12g flintlock is quite efficient on 60-70gns and 1oz plus but a 20g flintlock likes a similar amount to work nicely.

I have tested very course powders in all my guns and it performed worse. Its power out put is certainly lower.
Maybe with #4 shot it would be better but then pellet count is down.

Na, I like pressure and a good healthy recoil, leave the wads associated with shotgun cartridges and I'm good.
Ok got ya. I do 90 grains of 2f in my double 10 gauge for turkeys with extra full turkey chokes for a good spread and 1f in my flintlocks with cylinder bores. Mite try some 3f in the 10 and see how it goes, maybe 75-80 grains. I really like the way you salvage things to shoot your guns. Keep making smoke!

SO I tried 1Fg in my 20 gauge carbine. Not very good. So when shooting shot, the smallest I'd do is 2Fg. Seems the shot column likes a bit more of a sudden umph... I learned this from @Britsmoothy, who does a LOT of smoothbore hunting.

LD
Same here, years ago. I worked my loads with 2f then again with 3f

In the smoothbores all,
54, 58, 62, 72, 75.........

The 3fffg gives the best accuracy for ball and the best pattern without huge holes with shot. It takes less powder by volume too. There isn't a lit of difference with 2f, but 1f was trash

What's the thought behind 1FG in larger bores? Larger grain of powder account for a slower burn but during that slower period the pressure in the barrel increasing continually?

Same thought as for larger nitrocellulose powder grains in larger modern cannon, not just with black powder. Did you ever see the powder grains used for an 8-inch howitzer? They are as big as my thumb!

The larger grains burn slower. With a longer barrel, this means more efficient use of the powder charge and a lower maximum prsssure. Instead of a sudden whack the projectile gets a steady acceleration. (Yes it all happens in thousandths of a second). Lower max pressure is important with a larger caliber, since it's not desirable to have barrel wall thickness increase exponentially as the projectile gets larger. (And projo volume, therefore weight, increases as the square of the caliber).

Thanks @Ian Straus !

That's kind of what I thought and have since done some more research on it. I've basically shot 2F in everything, but I guess it's enough of an excuse for a trip to the "local" shop that sells BP to pick up some 1F and take it to the range to experiment.

And I haven't seen the powder in 8-inchers, my exposure to large ordinance was limited to our 120 Mortars and their cheese charges, which, when broken open wasn't that exciting, looks like average granulated powder. 🤷‍♂️

Yes large bore muskets and shotguns. It is what I use in my 12 guage.
My wife and I have been shooting clays and pheasant for a lot of years. Always shot 2f in our 12s. A very good shot suggested trying 3f, we did and found our scores going up. 3f gave us slightly faster velocity so that we didn’t have to lead the clays as much. Thereby making the shots easier. We are using 3f exclusively now in our Damascus and modern doubles.
Doc,

The different powder granulations have different burn rates which, given the same volumetric load, results in different velocities and pressures for each grain size. So the same amount of 1-F will produce a different outcome than the same amount of say 3-F with the finer grains producing more pressure and I believe more velocity than the coarser grains. Barrel strength is related to the material utilized in its construction. In the thinner barrel walls that I have, the lower pressure is safer. As for evidence, I am not a gunsmith, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
skwerl

I think you will find that the "pressure" that you are guarding against is contained in the thicker area of the breech, not the full length of the walls of the barrel. Once that shot column or single projectile begins to move toward the muzzle, the pressure buildup from the powder is counter acted upon by the forward movement of the projectile(s) which enlarges the space containing the explosion and pressure and reduces the pressure. While the reduction of pressure is not 1:1 to the expansion of the powder gases, it does mean that as the powder burns the pressure is lower than at the initial spike at initial firing.

LD

Back