• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1Fg?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some prefer it in large smoothbores, like Grenadier noted, and it's also frequently used in the reloading of larger cartridges for BP unmentionables.

What's the thought behind 1FG in larger bores? Larger grain of powder account for a slower burn but during that slower period the pressure in the barrel increasing continually?

Last edited:
I use 1fg in my Brown Bess. !fg is best for large bore smooth bores. It could be used in cannons.
ALL cannon owners use 1f powder and you use less powder per charge (in volume) then using 2f or 3f. Cannon's are expensive to own and fire. In my regiment we had two cannons, one three pounder and one six pounder.

I get much better groups with 1f in my .75 Bess. It don't blow shot loads apart and I get good groups with roundballs at 50 yards. Don't use it in anything under .60 caliber but my smooth bores like it alot.

1f generates lower breech pressures
To low and if low pressure is the key to success with shot patterns, how come nitro does so well 🧐.

Seeking low breech pressure to achieve a decent pattern is treating the symptom and not the real cause of a bad pattern. In a muzzleloader that is usually the wrong wadding.

Response was to MAPMFF’s question and not specific to shot load data/results. Lots of large bores were shot with round ball and the 1-F resulted in a lower breech pressure.

I use it in my 20GA. Patterns best and notably lower recoil. Passes the tuna can test.

Brit? I have not tried extensively with other types of wadding but what do you use with 2f or 3f? Reg wonder wads and hard cards open up about a 6 foot pattern (or more) and the 1f will shoot 30" ?? Not afraid of recoil but wanna know when the smoke clears theys a critter at the end waitin for the stew pot!

Response was to MAPMFF’s question and not specific to shot load data/results. Lots of large bores were shot with round ball and the 1-F resulted in a lower breech pressure.
Sorry yes but I stand by the same with ball.
It never gets going in a sense.
If a shooter is struggling to achieve a desired result the default suggestion is to steer the shooter to larger grain powder.
Unwittingly they are addressing the symptom not the real cause of an inaccurate ball. Often in reproduction muzzleloaders, poor bedding and a vibration pressure point. Consequently many end up shooting what is basically a soft load and oft not a normal high perfance load relatively speaking.

I use it in my 20GA. Patterns best and notably lower recoil. Passes the tuna can test.

Brit? I have not tried extensively with other types of wadding but what do you use with 2f or 3f? Reg wonder wads and hard cards open up about a 6 foot pattern (or more) and the 1f will shoot 30" ?? Not afraid of recoil but wanna know when the smoke clears theys a critter at the end waitin for the stew pot!
Just overshot cards, 2-3. Sometimes a thin leather with them.
My fine grade with the aid of zonie measures out close to 4f and 3f.
I used it to take three geese recently in my 10g. 90gns under 1&3/4oz of shot. Excellent power. Excellent results.
It's all overthought and fear based.
Oh, and I believe tuna cans are thinner these days!☹

Latest posts

Back