• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1f powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufus

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Got a couple pounds of goex fg powder. 1f. Can it be used in 50 cal rifle?

Yes it can. However it likely won't perform up to the standards of 2F & 3F it that small a bore. But it is certainly worth using if you can't trade for 2F with someone.

If you also have some ff or fff try mixing the two. It should help the f shoot better.
I do NOT recommend mixing different sized powders. Found that they will separate in the container, causing inconsistency as you use it. If your gun has a chambered breech, you could try dropping 10 grains or so of finer powder down the bore first, before adding the 1F. May improve ignition time, but kind of a PIA to have to pour two different powders down the bore in sequence before each shot. Personally, I’d try the 1F by itself, and if satisfied with performance, use it up. If not, trade it or save as a ‘reference’ powder. More muzzleloaders will likely find their way into your safe, and the next one may prefer 1F. Have a number of powders around that I only try on an experimental basis. It doesn’t go bad.

I had the same thought a few months ago, I was going full on smoothie and bought 8 pounds for my fowler but found I really liked my rifles better.

With the ammo shortage and me with an excess of 1F that I will never use I wondered how 1F would preform in my .54 in a SHIF situation.

I didn't try to work up load and loaded about the same volume as the 2F as I normally use. My groups went from about 1.5" at 50 yards to near 5" or larger. A deer killing group but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had some other size to use.

I got a can a few years back. Not intentional but I didn't notice that the place I bought it from must have gave me 1f by mistake and I didn't notice until at least 6 months later. I am planning on using it in my 58.

Sounds like good advice. Right any powder that will work is good powder. Ill try and see what it does.

I didn't try to work up load and loaded about the same volume as the 2F as I normally use. My groups went from about 1.5" at 50 yards to near 5" or larger. A deer killing group but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had some other size to use.
Try increasing your load about 10%. Larger grind powder burns slower.

Latest posts

Back