• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

19th Century Range Finder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry for posting here but I want to purchase 19th century rangefinder, do you know where I can buy it?

I apologize my friend. This original topic is 4 years old. I unwatced this topic a long time ago.

Anyway, I just happened to stumble back onto it. I forgot where I purchased the range finder but just now googled it.

They have them on EBay. I could have very well bought it from EBay?

Just go to EBay and type in “ Ted Cash 19th century Range Finder “.

It will come up there. Didn’t find another listing anywhere else?

Gonna try to paste the link here so please bare with me my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Ted Cash 19th Century Stadia Range Finder, Muzzleloading Made in USA

Guess it didn’t let me paste the link here?

Regardless, if you go to EBay and type in what I’ve mentioned above it’ll bring up what you’re looking for.

UP DATE!

After re-reading this old topic, I did pick it up off EBay.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
I didn't even know these were in existence ....buying one for sure. I also agree...very informative thread!
Looking around some of my favorite sights and seen a Ted Cash 19th Century Range Finder. It looks pretty neat! It is solid brass with a sliding bar that measures distances from 50 to 800 yards.( So they say? ) It sells for around $30.00. Does anyone own one of these? I really have no need for one of these so I will save my money. They are pretty cool though. 👍 Respectfully, cowboy

They were primarily used used by artillerymen.

Since this old topic was resurrected back from the dead with genuine interest?

It made me wonder what ever happened to that range finder and if I still had it?

After digging through my box of muzzleloading gadgets and odds and ends I came across it.

Here is a few pics to include instructions on its use.

Respectfully, Cowboy

2E721817-2B3A-4242-9BD9-130D4BCB9874.jpegAB1D6ABE-BE6F-495C-B4A2-D77D654E5ECB.jpeg4B2575F3-CA4F-4A71-A1E9-E246A80CD14C.jpeg

I have read a lot of posts here and I want to share with you guys my story about it. When I started hunting two years ago, I decided to buy a rangefinder, so I used the power of the Internet in order to find something suitable, I've been searching for some time and I didn't manage to do it. One day, my brother who prefers hunting advised me to use this site, he said that he's never had any issues with it: Rangefinder | Hunting Laser Rangefinder 1000-1500 yards | bow hunting and shooting range finders - ATN Corp . I bought from there some rangefinders and I'm pleased with it.

The link is interesting if someone is looking for a very expensive, very modern, laser type range finder capable of reading incredible distances.
The problem with that is, the Original Poster was looking for something that would have been used back in the 1800's, when lasers and computers didn't exist.

I had a history of the battle of Waterloo, long since lost. While most of the book was command structure and troop movements it was full of little side bars explaining military equipment, life in the military, ect.
One part was range finding. A translation from the French on estimating range based on what you could see.
Columns would come to individuals at one range, cross belts could be made out at another. Faces seen at another Ect.

https://www.budk.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Range-Finder-Brass-Construction--48481I am pretty sure these guys have misunderstood how their range finder works, because they are confusing it with the Ted Cash design , which was held vertically. From my reading of "A System of Target Practice" (1862) the cut-out triangle represents the gradual increase in height of a man, with increasing proximity. So the sliding gnomon is slid horizontally, and that slit in it is a window. What do you think?

I have just read the Henry Heth notes carefully, now. And it is clear that the sight picture is between C-A and C-B in the triangle, when the instrument is held horizontally.
content.png

Another great trick that works on the same principal is that you can estimate sunlight remaining by holding your arm straight out with the fingers bent at 90° in front of you and every finger width is 15 minutes of light remaining above the horizon.

I forget what the name for such things are. If it uses a dowel instead of a string it's called a "Jacob's Staff". Sea captains/navigators would mark a card to hold up towards a rock or lighthouse on shore that was a known height so they could judge distance off.
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1205/1205.2078.pdf
what a superb find! Thanks very much for highlighting it

https://www.budk.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Range-Finder-Brass-Construction--48481I am pretty sure these guys have misunderstood how their range finder works, because they are confusing it with the Ted Cash design , which was held vertically. From my reading of "A System of Target Practice" (1862) the cut-out triangle represents the gradual increase in height of a man, with increasing proximity. So the sliding gnomon is slid horizontally, and that slit in it is a window. What do you think?
I
I have just read the Henry Heth notes carefully, now. And it is clear that the sight picture is between C-A and C-B in the triangle, when the instrument is held horizontally
I have just read the Heth notes as well. You are 100 % correct. I think I will purchase one of these to try it out.

I plan on making my own. I don't really have a use for it, as I don't have a range over 50 yards. But I think it is a lot of fun and makes an interesting project.
Will you let us know how you get on, Bullitdog?

Now, that is interesting...and makes sense, of course. You have the butt to ensure your eye is at the same distance from the sight for every reading (that's your consistency), then you use the upright leaf? Presumably you mentally or even practically calibrated your sight by getting a mate to go and stand at various distances? Did you scratch your foresight or just have a rough idea?

You know, back in the day (1800s) at the musketry school at Hythe, they used an outstretched thumb and calibrated in knuckles

Back