• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

18th century recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well it is yalls thread i am going to just sit here and listen while you and the others on this thread tell what you know. so i can soak it in. when its done ill transfer it to notepad files and sort and organize it for use with a thumb drive and a device running on solar so ill have the knowledge when its needed. so by all means everyone continue with the conversation, agaihn thank you all.

hmmm so is trichinosis a bacteria or virus, cause if bacteria id use coconut oil , naturally destroys bacteria. but if it is viral it has to be cooked .
Trich is a small parasitic worm. It lives in the fibers of the muscle. While it will weaken and kill the host it does so slowly.
The killer for it is infection of tge major organs, that leads to dysfunction real quick. If it gets in the brain it produces everything from headaches and personality changes, to stroke like symptoms or insanity.
It doesn’t respond well to antibiotics or antiparasitic.
Salting pork enough to preserve it will kill it. Temps over 160F will kill it. A human with it in the organs likely has it all over. And it’s a killer to try and treat.
Brain infections with it are almost always terminal or if treated severely damage the brain.
That’s why you have to cook pork.
Kosher and halaal meats usually are immune to trich.

I don't mind threads going on a bit of a tangent e.g. cooking to trichonosis, but please keep politics out of it.

That was hashed out in a thread called “Southern Cornbread” a short while ago. I believe it says in the Bible “thou shalt NOT put sugar in thy cornbread” I’m not quite sure of chapter and verse but i think it is there several times. Also French nobility answered the question when they said “let them eat cake” if they need sugar in their cornbread.
Hope this helps. 🙃

smiles , figured as much. course i was a kid last time i made cornbread and thats the only explanation i got for ya.
ok , so whats the best seasoning and how do you get the beans to absorb that seasoning? what would you describe the taste of that as, to a person who has never tasted it before and was blind?
it gets us back onto and around the original topic of the thread. smiles

I make hoecakes and johnny cakes with white millstone ground corn. This is easy to make out in the woods.

Corn meal was called "Indian Meal" in colonial times. Corn meal that you buy at the grocery store is not the same as stone ground indian meal. Now days they remove the germ and the hull. It's ground with steel rollers. It's just the starch. Millstone ground cornmeal is courser and more nutritious.

Some recipes I've used:

Johnny Cakes:
Indian Meal, salt.
Water.
Make a dough, shape into a cake.
Bake in a lightly oiled skillet.
Eat it plain or add Muscovado sugar.

Hoe Cakes:
1 part flour, 2 parts Indian Meal, Salt. Cayenne pepper.
Lard.
Scolded milk or warm water.
mix the dry ingredients, cut some lard in. Add milk, Make a dough, shape into a cake.
Bake in a lightly oiled skillet.

Back