18th Century Horseback Hunting Rifle

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bigpat271

32 Cal
Reaction score
So was watching a YouTube video on a 18th century flintlock that has a barrel less than 12 inches.
1F76AD40-ABC5-477A-AEF6-DC8188E47BCD.jpeg

So I was just wondering if it was possible to put the barrel from a single shot pistol into a stock from a rifle. Do you think this would be possible???

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, just not a common thing in America
About 1650- 1700 south Central Europe produced pistols with short, too short to use against the shoulder, with rifle stocks
And shoulder stocks made to fit pistols were made for many years
Little short boar guns had there day, all with about foot long barrels.

Notchy Bob

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I agree with everything @tenngun said.

I don't see any reason you can't mount a short barrel on a rifle stock. Rice makes swamped pistol barrels in 10", 12", and 13" lengths, and you could probably get Hoyt or Burton to make one any length you want. I expect your powder charge would have to be kept pretty small, like a pistol charge, so you won't be blowing unburned powder out the muzzle. I would think a rate of twist suited for a pistol would be a good choice for a barrel this short, to stabilize the projectile with a relatively low powder charge.

I would be interested in reading what the more knowledgeable shooters might have to say on this.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

LongWalker

40 Cal
Reaction score
Some years back I made a short jaeger. Barrel was .62 caliber, 15" long, with 1:15 rate of twist as was the custom. Lock was a modified Siler.

It grouped best with about 85 grains of FFg. I don't recall ever chronographing it. It was adequate for whitetail deer, but a bit more specialized than I wanted.

William Lincoln

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Colt made Revolvers notched for stocks. The idea is for horseback, you have to be able
to shift the gun over the horse's head side to side without shooting the horse.
Also one of the the main reasons calvary used carbines. Great interesting gun.
I love the Cap and Ball channel from Hungary.

Bigpat271

32 Cal
Reaction score
I love the Cap and Ball channel from Hungary.
I always thought they were Italian. I don't know why I thought that.

One of my grail black powder rifles is the Smith Carbine. I would love the one made by Pietta.

Smith Carbine.jpg

Just look at that beauty 🤤