Quantcast

18th century Coffee pots?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Brokennock

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I use a French coffee. if you pour w/o opening the lid it stains out the grounds, Antique bought off ebay. You can sometimes find them on French ebay. Only other one I have seen is in a French-Canadian museum.
That is really nice. Love to find one someday.
Someone once told me that you can tell a tea pot from a coffee pot by the position of the spout. Loose tea leaves float so the spout comes up from the bottom of the pot. Coffee grounds sink so the spout is shorter and start toward the top of the pot or is more of a pouring lip like yours. Not sure how true this is.

Reactions: smo

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score
French ebay has lots of them,

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Because coffee grounds sink, you can use the infusion method. Bring the water to a boil. Add the coffee grounds, stir the water and coffee and set the coffee pot to the side for about 5 minutes. The coffee flavor will infuse into the water and the grounds will settle. Gently pour the coffee into your cup. Farr less bitter than boiling the coffee with the grounds and you end with fewer grounds in your cup. Yes, there will be about a cup with a lot of grounds at the bottom of your pot.

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like placing the grounds in a simple cloth bag would save a lot of time and trouble.

Those French pots are very intriguing. How can you tell if they are lead free and food safe...

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a lead testing kit if you are concerned. Not PC but it's a way. I have heard of people pitting egg shells in the pot to help settle the grounds but I have never tried it myself.

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
When you use the egg shell, you set the coffee pot aside and the grounds naturally sink, so the shells work, but so does setting the pot aside.

Yes, I have also used a linen bag of coffee grounds when I boil water for coffee. That works too.

Reaction score
Because coffee grounds sink, you can use the infusion method. Bring the water to a boil. Add the coffee grounds, stir the water and coffee and set the coffee pot to the side for about 5 minutes. The coffee flavor will infuse into the water and the grounds will settle. Gently pour the coffee into your cup. Farr less bitter than boiling the coffee with the grounds and you end with fewer grounds in your cup. Yes, there will be about a cup with a lot of grounds at the bottom of your pot.
And if you actually care how coffee tastes, you don't pour the boiling water over the grounds until it has cooled slightly.

Coffee gives up it's essence between 195 - 205 degrees f. Anything over 205 degrees f results in bitterness.

While laser thermometers are definitely non-PC, a lifetime of deploying with the military has educated my ears to the sound of water that is just short of boiling, and my OCD kicks in when that sweet elixer of life, and not punching the first person I meet in the morning, is prepared correctly.

JB67

40 Cal
Reaction score
And if you actually care how coffee tastes, you don't pour the boiling water over the grounds until it has cooled slightly.

Coffee gives up it's essence between 195 - 205 degrees f. Anything over 205 degrees f results in bitterness.

While laser thermometers are definitely non-PC, a lifetime of deploying with the military has educated my ears to the sound of water that is just short of boiling, and my OCD kicks in when that sweet elixer of life, and not punching the first person I meet in the morning, is prepared correctly.
I've been fixing coffee brewers for over 20 years, industrywise 195-200 is ideal. Starbucks runs their brewers at 205, which gets a bit more extraction but also can bring out the burnt notes. Keurigs run at 192, probably because there's no way to compensate for high altitude and you don't want one boiling.

JB67

40 Cal
Reaction score
Coffee was not thought of as a ration in the 18 th century like it was in the 19th. Coffee pots tended to be an in house luxury. Solders would only get coffee rarely y or they bought their own and boiled it in a camp pot. Officers might have a pot in thier kit and a servent to cook it up. Travelers would just make it by the cup.
True coffee pots were seen, but most of the time coffee was made in a pot then put into a server to be poured at the table. It was expensive and gill (1/2 a cup) cups were common. I make mine at camp in a 1 qt pot. Put on just after the fire gets going. Then prep my breakfast pour my cup and stat another to drink when the meal is done. A half a gallon of coffee....what a spendthrift :haha:
Joseph Plum Martin wrote of his time in the American Revolution. I don't think he mentioned coffee once. Rum was a common ration, and tea was welcomed when available.

By the Civil War, coffee was so popular the first thing troops would do when halting a march was build a fire and brew a pot.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know it isn't HC but some of us reenactors have been known to drink our campfire coffee with those froufrou flavored coffee creamers. But it's all good because we wrap birchbark around the container for camouflage.

Half-Cocked

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Please disregard this post I’m 100 years off my apologies

Faliero Bondanini patented the French press in 1858 Correction 1958 (see above apologies) Cw being 61-65. I wonder if the technology made it to the states by immigrants. In either case still my favorite way to make coffee!

Last edited:

Billy Boy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Please say it isn't true.
Life is too short to drink instant coffee. I can almost see using instant in emergency situations, but I can't think of a time where I would willingly choose instant.
I like instant coffee, Velvetta, Spam, and I have 3 pairs of Crocks and a plaid sport coat. I know I am period correct somewhere.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
that is a nice copper corn boiler setting on the fire. they Shure are very versatile.

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Outside of many years ago, the only time I use instant coffee is when I use it while making mocha flavored ice cream. It works well if not over done. To drink it as a beverage, no thanks.

Flinty Scot

40 Cal
Reaction score
Seems like placing the grounds in a simple cloth bag would save a lot of time and trouble.

Those French pots are very intriguing. How can you tell if they are lead free and food safe...
The grounds bag you describe was a standard piece of equipment in northern Brasil. The open end waas fixed over a metal ring, which fit over the outside of the top of the coffee pot. There was a small metal tab for a handle. Just wash & refill.
It made great coffee. No grounds, but they typically laced it with lots of sugar.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Joseph Plum Martin wrote of his time in the American Revolution. I don't think he mentioned coffee once. Rum was a common ration, and tea was welcomed when available.

By the Civil War, coffee was so popular the first thing troops would do when halting a march was build a fire and brew a pot.
wasn't TEA what started the FRACUS in the first place??

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
You can get a lead testing kit if you are concerned. Not PC but it's a way. I have heard of people pitting egg shells in the pot to help settle the grounds but I have never tried it myself.
that is the BOY SCOUT METHOD, used for years.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
that is what we did back in the day when BOY SCOUTS, WERE BOY SCOUTS, YOUNG MEN. and could drink black coffee.