• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

18th and 19th century rope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of books that deal with the materials and making of rope in colonial and early America? Also, what knots might have been in common use back then?

My ability with knots ends with tying my shoes and attaching a hook to fishing line. After that, things go downhill quickly. But I find the subject interesting.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Crewdawg445 said:
Hemp, all you need to know!

I buy hemp twine from the local Hobby Lobby in varying sizes and make my ropes accordingly by hand... A tedious endeavor but I wont pay the prices some charge for pre-made rope when it's a easy task.
http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/Winter15/hemp.cfm [/quote]

I make my own from Hemp twine, 2-ply reverse twist. I've also used linen.

As to knots used at the time, I can't say. I suggest learning the basic Scout knots - bowline, clove hitch, 2 half hitches, tautline, square, timber hitch, sheet bend - they will serve you well in 99% of cases.

Most sea food restaurants have a poster some where of knots and flags. Same basic seamanship knots taught to the real life Hornblowers, easy to find online.
Hemp line was the go to then. People living a few miles from the local Home Depot back then learned the making of corse but strong and serviceable grass, bark and horse hair cordage and rope. Several you tube videos show how to.
I do have to say I learned how but buy my rope instead

When did the rope making machines come into use. Several museums in our area have the hand cranked machines that make rope from a number of strands of twine. They are fun to watch and often they have the kids turning the handle to make a small rope as a souvenir.

Ropewalks - narrow covered sheds sometimes several hundred yards long were common in the 18th c. Boston alone had 14 by the 1790s. They could be found in every significant port city or town but generally a short distance out as they were notorious for bad smells (pitch, tar, wet hemp) and were a source of frequent fires. As far as knots go, the most common sailor's knots - square, figure of 8, bowline, cleat hitch & many others go back into antiquity.

Thanks for all the replies. I found a site called animatedknots.com that shows a ton of knots sorted by categories and usage: splicing, loop knots, sailing, and many others. (It even has a section for tying ties, which, I am glad to say, I no longer need.) The article on hemp and flax was fascinating. For some reason, I find fiber arts in a primitive or frontier setting very interesting: rope and cordage, yarn and thread making, and weaving. I'm amazed at how effective even the simplest hand made tools for these matters were.

There was even a trip down memory lane when I realized the Boy Scout Manual I used was the 1960 edition. My copy is long gone but I recognized the cover when I searched on Amazon. :grin:

Jeff

Rope walks often appeared in towns. Not as popular as blacksmithsbut pretty common. Ropemaking in long cables were common in ancient Egypt. Rope tended to be made 100 fathoms long, and that 100 fathom length was common over multi cultures, 600 feet or 1/10 of a mile (nautical mile). A ”˜ cable’ was then used as a measurement mostly at sea.

Flint62Smoothie said:
Coot said:
Ropewalks - narrow covered sheds sometimes several hundred yards long ...
That short??????

The ones I saw and walked in south west England were almost a mile long!

They need longer ropes in England to keep it moored to the rest of Europe (your rope) otherwise it will float away.....Ha! I made 2 jokes in one... :haha:

Thanks for all the replies. I found a site called animatedknots.com that shows a ton of knots sorted by categories and usage: splicing, loop knots, sailing, and many others. (It even has a section for tying ties, which, I am glad to say, I no longer need.) The article on hemp and flax was fascinating. For some reason, I find fiber arts in a primitive or frontier setting very interesting: rope and cordage, yarn and thread making, and weaving. I'm amazed at how effective even the simplest hand made tools for these matters were.

There was even a trip down memory lane when I realized the Boy Scout Manual I used was the 1960 edition. My copy is long gone but I recognized the cover when I searched on Amazon. :grin:

Jeff
Rope grinder. Made one with some nails and small board. 3 strand hooked on the garage door and grind away (spin). Still have the rope, 20 yrs later.

It's funny but the rope "machine" seems to make the ropes a bit different than the simpler "rope spinner" where you take the first twisted line, and the reverse it on itself in 3rds. Of course the spinner is limited to the distance one can lay out the beginning line, while the machine seems to be able to be "fed" as it goes.

LD

Just discovered this thread today. There is rope made of modern fibers that is a dead ringer for hemp. It can be found online at boat builders supply businesses. I doubt any jury could tell the difference between the new stuff and the old without doing a burn test or such. I use it on my wooden sailboat in leu of wire just to keep things looking old timey. It's used on tall ships nowadays.

Here's some ropes I made a couple of months ago. There all about 30' long. There made from hemp twine, 3 plait to 9 plait. Whipped with beeswax that has been melted and linen dipped in it. The one one the left is a 9 plait and is re weaved and is a couple years old has hauled 3 deer and hung them. I always wash any blood off hemp. I have made ropes 100' long but you need help and alot more weight.

You can use a rope machine to make traditional rope but don't use the middle spinner or it does look different.

Jerry
GEDC0190.JPG

Is this modern hemp rope or rope made from synthetic fibers that mimic hemp?

It's made of modern fiber, but looks just like real hemp. It was developed for rigging old sailing ships still in service so that an authintic look would not be lost, but without the expense of miles of true hemp rope and its relative short life. It is soft and knots and splices just like natural hemp. To any but the very most critical expert it would not stand out at all in an HC/PC camp.

Does anyone know of books that deal with the materials and making of rope in colonial and early America? Also, what knots might have been in common use back then?

My ability with knots ends with tying my shoes and attaching a hook to fishing line. After that, things go downhill quickly. But I find the subject interesting.

Jeff

Don't know how relevant it is but I would suggest The Ashley book of knots.

Back