• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1864 58 caliber rifled musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Muzldr

32 Cal
Reaction score
Recently inherited a Civil War rifle. 1864 58 Caliber Marked US Providence tool co, Providence RI. Took it down and cleaned it, cast some mini balls, 50 grs of 2F Goex black and it is dead on at 75 yards. I do believe the rifle is original. Doing research on this looks like it is a type 2 contract rifle1864. Has the 3 leaf site, spring on barrel guards with U marking. Has the US on butt plate with M marking, stock has proof marks. I did notice the touch hole on side of nipple has been closed up and nipple hole re-drilled. Steel Brush markings about a 1/4 up from the breech. Stamped on the barrel is markings: one on top of barrel is S. S.,one of the side is W. M. LARGE. Could not find anything on the S.S. but understand W.M.Large was a barrel and gun smith till the eighties?. I do have a Lee 58 caliber mini bullet mold. (575@500grs), box of paper and plastic Nssa quick loaders also. Looks like who did have it shot at matches. The gun itself is from Virginia. Also don't know for sure but read it has a 1/72 twist?. So,, all this said, if anyone has more information to the S.S. an W.M.Large markings or your Opinion on the rifle itself is appreciated. I like to know a little history of things. My plan on the rifle is to just have fun shooting a part of past history. I did take alot of pictures of the rifle if more is needed to answer a questions. Thanks for any support and have a blast of a day.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_094906304.jpg
    IMG_20200315_094906304.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20200315_095734209.jpg
    IMG_20200315_095734209.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200315_095833948.jpg
    IMG_20200315_095833948.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20200315_101035303.jpg
    IMG_20200315_101035303.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200315_101210744.jpg
    IMG_20200315_101210744.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20200315_103407484.jpg
    IMG_20200315_103407484.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20200315_105131664.jpg
    IMG_20200315_105131664.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20200223_150629515.jpg
    IMG_20200223_150629515.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20200223_150813379.jpg
    IMG_20200223_150813379.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 136
Recently inherited a Civil War rifle. 1864 58 Caliber Marked US Providence tool co, Providence RI. Took it down and cleaned it, cast some mini balls, 50 grs of 2F Goex black and it is dead on at 75 yards. I do believe the rifle is original. Doing research on this looks like it is a type 2 contract rifle1864. Has the 3 leaf site, spring on barrel guards with U marking. Has the US on butt plate with M marking, stock has proof marks. I did notice the touch hole on side of nipple has been closed up and nipple hole re-drilled. Steel Brush markings about a 1/4 up from the breech. Stamped on the barrel is markings: one on top of barrel is S. S.,one of the side is W. M. LARGE. Could not find anything on the S.S. but understand W.M.Large was a barrel and gun smith till the eighties?. I do have a Lee 58 caliber mini bullet mold. (575@500grs), box of paper and plastic Nssa quick loaders also. Looks like who did have it shot at matches. The gun itself is from Virginia. Also don't know for sure but read it has a 1/72 twist?. So,, all this said, if anyone has more information to the S.S. an W.M.Large markings or your Opinion on the rifle itself is appreciated. I like to know a little history of things. My plan on the rifle is to just have fun shooting a part of past history. I did take alot of pictures of the rifle if more is needed to answer a questions. Thanks for any support and have a blast of a day.
I’m no expert, but it looks to me, that it’s an original rifle musket, with a modern barrel by Bill Large

That's a Bill Large multi groove barrel, ought to be a great shooter. Large barrels are approved replacements by the N-SSA. You can find a lot of info on Bill Large with a quick search, enough so that there isn't any sense going to the trouble of posting it here.

That's a Bill Large multi groove barrel, ought to be a great shooter. Large barrels are approved replacements by the N-SSA. You can find a lot of info on Bill Large with a quick search, enough so that there isn't any sense going to the trouble of posting it here.

Thanks Gents for the Barrel information. When I received it the person told me it was a original. Well, a little research on providence tool co. thought it was kind of funny the barrel showed no pitting?. I knew from the touch hole closed up that a gun smith has been in there. So, that explains also no YP or US bird markings etc. on the barrel. So, I have a original lock n stock with a modern barrel. You called it a multi groove barrel, Do you think it would shoot round balls also?. Or should I just stick with the mini bullets. They are hitting 4"group at 75 yrds right now. Just new to me, little different and as fun as my GP 54 lyman. I did find some information on Bill Large. Sounded like a great guy and gunsmith. I got into this about the time he passed. Thanks and appreciate the replys.

Last edited by a moderator:
'63 barrels had no touchhole, they were drilled from the nipple hole unlike the 61 Springfield so had a shorter flame passage.
Thanks for correction. Like you said, should be a great shooter. Also, great conversation piece when at the range. Have a great day.

You got the best of both worlds, an original , historical piece with a good, modern barrel.

Obviously the past owner must have set it up for Skirmish shooting.

I'd just shoot that thing as much as possible , no harm in it , it now lives in that "desirable because of Bill Large barrel/ but no longer collectible "world

The W.M. Large barrel is an early one. His later barrels had a J. or a J.J. or a J.J.J. under the W.M. LARGE umbrella.
These represented his daughters - all name with the initial J.
Bill was a machinist that made barrels for WWII on a 6 barrel machine. When the war was over - he bought the machine as surplus and started his own barrel business. There are several members of this forum who knew Bill - very well.
One claims to possess Bill's machinery and could feasibly start the line back up.
They are highly rated and sought after barrels. I have 2 rifles with his barrels, both are very good shooters.
20181102_185620.jpg
20181204_210300_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks gents for the Value insight and all comments about barrel quality on the rifle. The previous owner had a box full of the card board and red plastic quick loaders. All I knew was he shot at nssa matches. Was glad to get the bullet mold also. Bought a couple new nipples, jag etc.. Always fun making my own bullets and glad to add this one to my collection. Happy safe shooting, take care.

Thanks gents for the Value insight and all comments about barrel quality on the rifle. The previous owner had a box full of the card board and red plastic quick loaders. All I knew was he shot at nssa matches. Was glad to get the bullet mold also. Bought a couple new nipples, jag etc.. Always fun making my own bullets and glad to add this one to my collection. Happy safe shooting, take care.

Since you have the mold too, time to start casting and get shooting. I shoot NSSA and I can say that Large barrels are held in high regard.

Sounds great. I have been making some, then doing the wax dip. The ones I made first off shot ok, so just trying to do the best I can. Happy shooting.

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_083035642.jpg
    IMG_20200204_083035642.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 68
I’m no expert, but it looks to me, that it’s an original rifle musket, with a modern barrel by Bill Large

Another possibility is that that the gun has an old barrel that has had a rifled liner installed by B. Large.
Would have been an easy job for someone with his skills.
Is it possible the “ S. S. “ means stainless steel?

Last edited:
Congratulations. As mentioned above, sort of the best of both worlds. Back in the 1970's there were generally only o three choices for barrels for a custom build. Numrich, Douglas, and Bill Large being the only so called "custom" barrel shop. I seem to recall during the peak of the Hawken Craze back in the 70's that Bill had a one year wait list to get a barrel.

Rick

Thanks Gents for all the comments. Appreciate it. Hopefully this virus will be over soon so I can go shoot it again. Stay safe and healthy and Happy shooting.

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_115031602_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200202_115031602_HDR.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 60
Another possibility is that that the gun has an old barrel that has had a rifled liner installed by B. Large.
Would have been an easy job for someone with his skills.
Is it possible the “ S. S. “ means stainless steel?

I have never heard of Large relining barrels though it may be possible. That is not an original barrel on that gun as the shape of the breech area is quite distinctively different. Given the time frame Large was making barrels stainless would be extremely unlikely.

I suggest you post your photos and questions on the N-SSA forum here: Civil War Small Arms

Back