• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 US Springfield Carbine?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased what appears to be an original 1863 (dated 1864) US Springfield Calvary Carbine. I'm just looking for any info I can get at this time. The pics were taken with my phone, I can post better tomorrow.

1863b.jpg
1863a.jpg

Ain't no such animal. :) It's a cut down '63 Type 1 rifle musket (Type 2 had band retaining springs). The rammer is wrong and I wouldn't be surprised to find it has been bored smooth. The rear sight has been removed and the front sight is wrong. The original barrel length was 40" and the stock would have had 3 bands. The trigger guard is not original as it would have had provision for a sling swivel on the front of the bow. This gun has been modified post-war for sale to civilians, possibly even through Sears & Roebuck. This gun could be restored to its original configuration with a little work and of course some $$.

Hawkeye2 covered it well. This was a common fate of surplus rifle muskets after the war.

Hawkeye nailed it. This happened to many muskets after the War. It could be converted back.

I just purchased what appears to be an original 1863 (dated 1864) US Springfield Calvary Carbine. I'm just looking for any info I can get at this time. The pics were taken with my phone, I can post better tomorrow.

View attachment 101835View attachment 101837
It looks like a surplus gun that was bored smooth for resale to civilians as a cheap shotguns. My great-grandfather told me he had one for years in the early 1900’s that was very serviceable.
This one would not be very usable as-is because the lack of at least one ramrod thimble would have the ramrod flopping around during use.

It looks like a surplus gun that was bored smooth for resale to civilians as a cheap shotguns. My great-grandfather told me he had one for years in the early 1900’s that was very serviceable.
This one would not be very usable as-is because the lack of at least one ramrod thimble would have the ramrod flopping around during use.
A thimble should be easy enough to replace. But, I bought it for resale. I'll either put it in my shop or on gunbroker as is and allow someone else to do the restoration.

This gun has been modified post-war for sale to civilians, possibly even through Sears & Roebuck.
"A Cut Down Musket for $2.75" is advertised on p. 304 of the reprinted 1902 Sears catalog. "Made from U.S. Springfield Musket, Model 1863." Also, "For quality of material, shooting qualities and durability, this gun is too well known to require any comment from us." The catalog illustration does show one thimble.

Put it for sale here. :)
I would if I knew for sure what it was worth. I found one, almost identical, online that sold for $1300. But I also saw them in the $700 range. And, I saw one that sold for $180 in 2010. So, I think gunbroker's probably my best bet. I'll let the market determine value. I'm planning on listing it tomorrow.

I would if I knew for sure what it was worth. I found one, almost identical, online that sold for $1300. But I also saw them in the $700 range. And, I saw one that sold for $180 in 2010. So, I think gunbroker's probably my best bet. I'll let the market determine value. I'm planning on listing it tomorrow.
It is hard to put a figure on a cut down gun, so this might be your best bet. In original full length they seem to be running around $900 and up depending on condition.

Back