• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1862 police by Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my 2019 made Uberti in the mail yesterday. Looks very nice out of the box but before even cocking it I did a complete disassembly. Fit and finish inside and out is quite good with nearly no machine marks. The base pin to barrel length is just right although the hole in the barrel assembly is a bit large. Timing and lock up is right on with just a bit of creep to the trigger. I did find a burr in the hand channel which prevented reassembly. A few passes with a jewelers file fixed that. Shooting today at 25 yards yielded groups of 2" wide by 4" tall with the nearly none existent sights. Point of impact is 16" high. Point shooting at 10 paces grouped were I was looking never bring the pistol above my waist. Cap jams are common and I believe is mosty due to the vent in the nipples. I have given thought to making a 1860 style front sight for it to put it more to point of aim. Over all I'm pleased with what is my latest project gun.

Mr Beliveau did a video some time back showing that relieving the edges on the safety notch in the hammer nose fixed even a Colt model he couldn’t get with anything else he tried. There’s also the cap rake/post install into the frame in the hammer notch to hold back spent caps. Both seem to work.

Thanks for sharing her here. My 62 is a Colt second gen. Had a time getting it to settle down but now it shoots gangbusters.

Please do report your success with the "rake". Been tempted on my 61 and 51's but have not done so yet.

The 62's are very fun and make the 36 cal seem a bit more powerful.

Mr Beliveau did a video some time back showing that relieving the edges on the safety notch in the hammer nose fixed even a Colt model he couldn’t get with anything else he tried. There’s also the cap rake/post install into the frame in the hammer notch to hold back spent caps. Both seem to work.

That and adding another spring.

Todays shooting report. The load is 21 grains of GOEX 3fg, .375 ball, Crisco over the ball and #10 Remington caps. Yes that's a full chamber and I wouldn't want to shoot less! I filed the rear sight down all that I could and made the notch square. (that's the sighting notch in the hammer ::) ) At 25 yards the point of impact is about 14" high and a bit to the right. Group is a better and there was no cap jams. The work of putting the rake is well worth it. No need to twist, flip or pay any attention to operating the pistol in that respect. To correct the sights would require the front sight to be .350" tall so I'm torn as to putting that big of blade on this tiny pistol.

Todays shooting report. The load is 21 grains of GOEX 3fg, .375 ball, Crisco over the ball and #10 Remington caps. Yes that's a full chamber and I wouldn't want to shoot less! I filed the rear sight down all that I could and made the notch square. (that's the sighting notch in the hammer ::) ) At 25 yards the point of impact is about 14" high and a bit to the right. Group is a better and there was no cap jams. The work of putting the rake is well worth it. No need to twist, flip or pay any attention to operating the pistol in that respect. To correct the sights would require the front sight to be .350" tall so I'm torn as to putting that big of blade on this tiny pistol.

What I did with mine was to cut a penny in half for a sight blade. It works very well ... brings the impact down and makes a nice narrow sight picture that catch's my eye very easy and gives me confidence in my aiming.

I installed the penny with super glue at first to see if it was going to work. Drifting out the OEM blade, I then filed the penny bottom to contour into the barrel slot followed by the super glue into the slot.

After determining my taste was satisfied, I then cleaned the glue out of the slot and penny bottom ... followed by soldering the penny solid in the barrel slot. There is a bit of side to side wiggle room that will or can help with the horizontal impact adjustment.

Anyhew thats my story and I really like ol Abe settin there on my 62's barrel.

My 1862 police doesn’t have a slot it has a pin front sight. My 1860 Army has a blade front sight that is in a slot and I did replace it with a taller German sliver blade. I may machine a slot into the 1862 for a blade but that blade would have to be .350” high. Rather ugly don’t you think.

Having a lot of Colts, I would appreciate how you did that. Also, how does hammer nose miss that projection. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The little slot that is designed to rest on the little nub's on the cylinder rear between chambers.

This little slot goes around the cap rake when firing. The cap rake needs to be no larger in diameter then the nub diameter on the rear of the cylinder to rest the hammer on for safety so you could load and carry 5 loaded cylinders on the '62' Colt Police.

Shortstart, I drilled a hole in the frame at a 30 degree angle then tapped it for a 5x40 screw. A screw is lock tighten in then bent forward and cut off even with the recoil shield. With jeweler files the sides are filed to the width of the safety notch in the nose of the hammer and the top filed to remove the threads. The safety notch needed lengthened till the hammer was all the way down. Then file the rake face down till the cylinder will turn when fully back. A dab of cold blue for looks and there you go. The small frames are touchy as you don’t want to break into the recess for the ratchet of the cylinder.

My 1862 police doesn’t have a slot it has a pin front sight. My 1860 Army has a blade front sight that is in a slot and I did replace it with a taller German sliver blade. I may machine a slot into the 1862 for a blade but that blade would have to be .350” high. Rather ugly don’t you think.
Mine has a dovetail front that I made a blade for. This really helps them in the accuracy dept.
You will probably need to ream the chamber mouths to groove diameter or a bit more to realize the full accuracy potential of the little guns. They are capable of some fine accuracy with some tweaking!

I made a cap rake and hope it does take care of the jams. Next the sights.

IMG_0457 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Might work but I predict you will be removing it before much longer. I'd stick to the hammer nose deburring and nipple trim fitting to the caps used . I've never seen this alteration on an original and they seemed to work. One mans opinion.

Original Colts had gain twist rifling, no champher to the chambers, a flat muzzle crown, a much narrower safety notch in the hammer, and better fit and finish threw out. I did deburr the hammer as well as smoothing up the various spots threw out the action. I neglected to say that in the earlier post. The cap rake isn’t my invention but is commonly done by a number of gunsmith. It’s worked and worked very well for many. If it becomes a problem I’ll let everyone here know. Thank you for your interest.

Original Colts had gain twist rifling, no champher to the chambers, a flat muzzle crown, a much narrower safety notch in the hammer, and better fit and finish threw out. I did deburr the hammer as well as smoothing up the various spots threw out the action. I neglected to say that in the earlier post. The cap rake isn’t my invention but is commonly done by a number of gunsmith. It’s worked and worked very well for many. If it becomes a problem I’ll let everyone here know. Thank you for your interest.
One does not want more than a brake of the sharp edge on a chamber mouth as much of a chamfer will direct the pressure laterally.The chamber mouth reamed to groove or .001 over will generally yield the best accuracy potential the barrel is capable of producing with ball or bullet.

Back