• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED 1862 Police 5.5" or 6.5" with round barrel, 36 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 1862 Police (pocket) with 5.5" or 6.5" with round barrel -- 36 cal., 5-shot cylinder

- Uberti, Pietta, or other clone, or modern Colt (no antiques)
- steel frame only (brass backstap and/or brass triggerguard OK)
- no models with octagonal barrel (round barrel only)
- 5.5" or 6.5" round barrel only (not looking for a 4.5" barrel, although if that's what you have, LMK -- maybe!)
- 36 cal, 5-shot cylinder

Looking for a shooter, not a safe queen... any condition considered, from NIB to gunsmith special!

TIA!
Greg

Just a little PSA Greg. The Pietta version of the 62 Police, is not accurate in any way. They use the same frame as their 51/61 Navy and just put a shorter barrel and fluted cylinder on it, to sort of represent a 62. It is literally the same size as all their other guns.

The Uberti is a much better choice, if you're looking for a true pocket type 62.

Good luck in your search.

Hello SGD,

Thanks for the info... I am definitely looking for a "true" pocket '62. I have a modern Colt 1862 Police with 5.5" barrel, but it's unfired and will remain that way, so I'm looking for a shooter version.

I have a Pietta '61 Navy in 36 cal, but it's the same size frame as my 44-cal revolvers, and I want a pocket-sized pistol to accompany both the Colt '62, as well as my '49 Pocket.

Jedediah-Starr has a '62 Police with 6.5" barrel (Uberti) in stock for $441 shipped, but I'm hoping a forum member will have one that's more affordable. :)

Greg

Just a little PSA Greg. The Pietta version of the 62 Police, is not accurate in any way. They use the same frame as their 51/61 Navy and just put a shorter barrel and fluted cylinder on it, to sort of represent a 62. It is literally the same size as all their other guns.

The Uberti is a much better choice, if you're looking for a true pocket type 62.

Good luck in your search.

Hello SGD,

Thanks for the info... I am definitely looking for a "true" pocket '62. I have a modern Colt 1862 Police with 5.5" barrel, but it's unfired and will remain that way, so I'm looking for a shooter version.

I have a Pietta '61 Navy in 36 cal, but it's the same size frame as my 44-cal revolvers, and I want a pocket-sized pistol to accompany both the Colt '62, as well as my '49 Pocket.

Jedediah-Starr has a '62 Police with 6.5" barrel (Uberti) in stock for $441 shipped, but I'm hoping a forum member will have one that's more affordable. :)

Greg

I figured you were probably looking for a true pocket model. That being the case, you definitely don't want the Pietta version.

I have a Pietta 62 Police. All I did was swap out the fluted cylinder for the normal type, and now it's a 61 Navy with a shorter barrel.

Greg old Son the price he is quoting is not much of a gouge ..it is about MRSP (Taylor's) but your discount is no tax and delivered and the importers both Taylor's and Cimmaron are zero inventory ..FYI

Good Luck
Bear

Hi Bear,

I agree, the price from J-S is fair, especially factoring in that it's in-stock, and prices of all firearms these days. I'm just hoping for a used (or even well-used) example, since I alreay have one to "admire." ;-)

I'm tempted to just shoot the Colt... it's not an antique, afterall, and it is the only firearm I own that's not a "shooter" (not including my 170-year-old '49 Pocket, seen in my profile pic). It is a beautiful gun, however...
20211226_184355.jpg

Greg

Greg old Son the price he is quoting is not much of a gouge ..it is about MRSP (Taylor's) but your discount is no tax and delivered and the importers both Taylor's and Cimmaron are zero inventory ..FYI

Good Luck
Bear

Hi Bear,

I agree, the price from J-S is fair, especially factoring in that it's in-stock, and prices of all firearms these days. I'm just hoping for a used (or even well-used) example, since I alreay have one to "admire." ;-)

I'm tempted to just shoot the Colt... it's not an antique, afterall, and it is the only firearm I own that's not a "shooter" (not including my 170-year-old '49 Pocket, seen in my profile pic). It is a beautiful gun, however...
View attachment 111428

Greg
Yup ...that's what I did with my 3rd Gen Signature Series 1849 Pocket ..new in the box and I made a shooter out of it ..it was about $45 more than a new Uberti ..Like you I own no safe queens

Bear

My properly sized 62 Police was made by ASM for CVA, it's a nice little shooter. Just got a Colt 2nd gen 1860 Army in unfired condition (no box) that presents the same shoot don't shoot dilemma. I really wanted one that was already nicely used like my Colt Navy but I couldn't pass this up for not much more than a new Uberti.

My properly sized 62 Police was made by ASM for CVA, it's a nice little shooter. Just got a Colt 2nd gen 1860 Army in unfired condition (no box) that presents the same shoot don't shoot dilemma. I really wanted one that was already nicely used like my Colt Navy but I couldn't pass this up for not much more than a new Uberti.
Shoot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...no box
Bear

Looking to buy a 1862 Police (pocket) with 5.5" or 6.5" with round barrel -- 36 cal., 5-shot cylinder

- Uberti, Pietta, or other clone, or modern Colt (no antiques)
- steel frame only (brass backstap and/or brass triggerguard OK)
- no models with octagonal barrel (round barrel only)
- 5.5" or 6.5" round barrel only (not looking for a 4.5" barrel, although if that's what you have, LMK -- maybe!)
- 36 cal, 5-shot cylinder

Looking for a shooter, not a safe queen... any condition considered, from NIB to gunsmith special!

TIA!
Greg
Back in the summer I acquired an original M1862 Police made in 1867. About a week later I ordered an Uberti from Dixie to display with it. The Uberti is practically identical to the original.

Back in the summer I acquired an original M1862 Police made in 1867. About a week later I ordered an Uberti from Dixie to display with it. The Uberti is practically identical to the original.

Nice... that's what I did with the 1849 Pocket models I acquired. Started with an original (manf. 1852), and then bought an Uberti to actually shoot.

The replica is very similar, but not identical, and as I've now discovered, there are a lot of variations between '49 Pocket pistols.

Nice... that's what I did with the 1849 Pocket models I acquired. Started with an original (manf. 1852), and then bought an Uberti to actually shoot.

The replica is very similar, but not identical, and as I've now discovered, there are a lot of variations between '49 Pocket pistols.
Actually, at the same time I purchased the M1862 Police by Uberti I also ordered a M1849 Pocket Model along with two double pistol display cases, the correct powder flasks, and two replicas of the Eley cap boxes to display. The reason I got the M1849 pocket Model was to display with my original 1849. It was actually the first gun I purchased back in 1974 at a pawn shop when I was 16. In 1980 when I was a 22 year old 2LT in the army at Ft. Huachuca I told a shop owner in Tombstone about it and he told me what it was. The gun was back home in SC. I remembered the serial number and told him. He said it was an early gun made in 1852. When I got back home I looked at it and saw there was actually an extra digit on the serial number. That made alot of difference. I looked it up and found it was actually made in 1875. I have thought about getting a second replica of both the 1862 Police and 1849 to shoot. The reason is to keep the two replicas I have with the originals clean and unfired. I kinda believe if I shoot the 1849 the cylinder scene may get worn off. I am actually a Civil War collector and stepped outside my realm a bit when I bought the 1862 Police. I knew it was not actually used in the war from the serial number but it is a model I have always liked. I have an original 1851 Navy made in 1857 with the cartouche and USN stamped, and a 1860 Army made in 1862 with the cartouche. I have never considered acquiring replicas of those to display or shoot. I purchased my first black powder replica, a Remington Navy Arms by Pietta, in December 1980 in Tombstone and have contented myself with shooting that over the years.

Latest posts

Back