• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1862 enfield lock screw size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
anyone happen to know what size screws are suppose to go in this 1862 enfield lock plate? neighbor bought it used,,an screws aren't right,,,want to run a tap thru an replace screws but cannot find size..thanks!

Have you considered putting the lock in your pocket and taking a trip to the local hardware or auto parts store?

That might give you the answer and while your there you could buy a few screws.

The idea of rethreading existing threads to another size or thread pitch is usually a very bad idea.

It results in a bunch of partial threads that don't have the strength to work for either screw when its done.

If rethreading is the only answer remember that the new thread size should be at least 1/16" larger than the old size but often there is not enough room for a screw that much larger than the old one.

Just things to keep in mind. :)

thanks..jus wanted to get a tap same as screws that go in it, jus to clean up the threads...an use new screws of original thread,,I
've heard prolly metric,,an 6mm...which is not real helpful to me lol..but hardware store it is!

hardware store..thread checker..5M.. Now, trying to find some with large heads...any one know where to get a spare musket nipple for it....or size? thanks!

lodgewood or S & s Firearmes will the the screw you need. you will also need to tell them the mfg.some are metric some are British enfield thd.or leyland pitch.I had a older Parker hale thd was not std. metric

thanks! I have no idea who made this or even how old it is.I do know whoever had it took rifling out, shortened barrel an stock...an did something with the lockscrews :doh: ,,I found 2-- 5m screws that hold the lock,it works...fer now..
... I'll tell ya neighbor ran down to store day after he brought it to me, bought musket caps dropped them off called me next day to ask how it was goin.. I said it works..wanna shoot?? he said Be Right Over!!! he still smilin! :grin: had a ball shootin..he's so proud/surprised he hit the target everytime! w/o rear sites,,,he said..I think I got the disease!... :haha: an wanted me to show how to clean an what he needed,,I sent him home with clean gun, range rod, balls, patches, an powder....felt good to share what I've learned... :wink:

there are several NSSA guys up in your area. one is Larry Ramano of Romano rifle co he has a web site, he is in pannelville NY. rifleing in ths muskets is very shallow to shoot minnies. if it is a parker hale it will be stamed w/ a cartouche on the stock. also the mfg should be stamped on the barrel

Just got here, 4/9/20. The Original Enfield 1853 Lock plates used 3/16 - 26 British Standard Cycle (BSC) screws. The Lock to Stock Screws are 7/32 - 26 tpi BSC.
About 1900, the BSC Thread series (all have 26 tpi) was revised to omit diameters smaller than 1/4 inch. That said, the tool makers still supply the 18th Century BSC taps and dies. Tracy Tools has them in stock
( Taps and Dies, Reamers & Milling Cutters | Tracy Tools Ltd UK )
"Taps and Dies", "26 tpi cycle pitch".
When I found these guys, it was like coming face to face with a Bigfoot with a British accent!

Back