• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED 1861 Springfield rifle musket repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firemanjim68

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wanting to purchase a used but in nice condition Model 1861 rifle musket reproduction.
I've always been a flintlock lover, but the Model 1861 has always been the one caplock gun I've ever liked and now that powder is hard to find here in Texas for my rock lock guns and Pyrodex is just about everywhere, l thought I'd like to take the plunge into my favorite caplock gun at last but just missed my chance to buy one here so l thought I'd open an ad and see what pops up.

If anyone else has one available, please let me know. Thanks! Jim

Last edited:
You’d be better off to watch Gunbroker. Ive seen several Springfield repos & Enfield repos come and go with a few that had reasonable sale prices.
I know there are a lotta different opinions AND experiences here in the forum with regards to said business. But hey, if your serious. It is a resource. That’s my 2 cents . Good luck !

Guys, l appreciate the advice, and please don't take this the wrong way but every time l post asking about if anyone has a certain gun for sale all l ever get is a bunch of opinions, directions to other forums that I've already inquired into, and then references by THOSE forums as well to try elsewhere, followed by tons of references to gunbroker as well.

And after all that, still no gun.

Thanks guys but I've searched those avenues before including gunbroker who's sellers are wanting premium, if not astronomical prices for what they have which is often in worse shape than an original battlefield gun.

The reason I've decided to inquire here is because a fellow member was selling his 1861 repro here for $600 and unfortunately, l missed seeing the ad and by the time l contacted him the gun had been already sold a day or so before.

Again, thanks for the well meant advice but trust me, I've played this game before and now that I've exhausted all other options on looking for an 1861 Springfield, I'm trying here although I'm already beginning to have any doubts of success here as well, but I'm gonna give it a shot nonetheless.

So if anyone has a gun for sale, please let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks but I'm looking for a repro, not an original.

No more references guys, please.

Just let me know if YOU have a gun for sale.

Thanks.

My sincerest thanks to bluemule66 for his very generous offer of a very beautiful, custom-engraved, rifle musket.
Unfortunately, it was way too nice a gun for my needs so I'm on the search again.

If any of you want to hit him up for his rifle, l think you'll like what you'll see.

By the time you sort through every Tom, Dick and Harry offering you everything except what you want, you probably could have just bought a brand new Pedersoli 1861 or CS Richmond and threw it on your CC or put it on layaway.....

Summer is coming, just buy new and enjoy. Don't forget to get a cartridge box and learn to roll cartridges. Plus you can Bond with your new rifle from the 1st shot. Priceless

I just bought a branch new Pedersoli CS Richmond and I know it hasn't been "finger *flubbed*" by a garage gunsmith or fired with huge loads by someone trying to turn it into an Elephant rifle. They're available new, there are so few used 1861 Springfields out there because reenacting is unfortunately in rapid decline and few people are buying new let alone used repro muskets.

Rather than what you'll get, is a reenactor beat repro for $200 below retail , and even those are hard to find since the market for new, let alone used repro rifle-muskets in the US is pretty thin .

First, l know all of y'all mean well so forgive me for this rant.

But.....while l appreciate the advice y'all have given, if l COULD buy a brand new rifle, trust me, l WOULD have.

But thanks to gun control scares and covid, most of your popular guns like 1911s, and Uberti lever actions are almost non existent on the open market including black powder rifles which is why I'm SETTLING for a USED gun if l can find one.

So please, for the love of all that is good, please don't comment here unless you have a gun to offer.

I'm really tired of all the opinions, references, and assorted comments l get every time l post in this forum on what people think l SHOULD do to get the item l want when l have ALREADY exhausted those options in the FIRST PLACE.

Thank you for your advice guys, but the fact remains that there are NO new Springfield muskets available at gun stores, gun shows, Walmarts, or frickin vending machines anywhere and WON'T be for months which is WHY I've posted here for a used rifle.

PLEASE for the love of Mike, please don't comment here unless you have a gun to sell me.

I'm really tired of every time my phone or computer chirps off that l got a new reply on this forum that it turns out to be a comment instead of a gun offer.

Y'all guys hate robo calls and spam, right?

So please......

Last edited:
Lol,

Brokenbear, you're a good man.

And your also the umpteenth guy to PM me this same auction......lol.

Lol.....guys, l love you all and l know most of yall are trying to help me out.

But unless you have an 1861 that you PERSONALLY own and want to offer me, all yall are doing is just repeating stuff I've already heard of or have already taken into consideration myself.

Thanks for helping me just the same, but auctions are not worth it to me anymore due to the frustration of trying to bid on something only to lose by some "sniper" bid, and then theres all the other fees including shipping afterwards which usually equals too or even more than buying a factory new rifle in the end.

But thanks for your help nonetheless buddy, its appreciated just the same.

Yup......all out of stock, just like everyone else.

You're killing me, Smalls......

Last edited:
First, l know all of y'all mean well so forgive me for this rant.

But.....while l appreciate the advice y'all have given, if l COULD buy a brand new rifle, trust me, l WOULD have.

But thanks to gun control scares and covid, most of your popular guns like 1911s, and Uberti lever actions are almost non existent on the open market including black powder rifles which is why I'm SETTLING for a USED gun if l can find one.

So please, for the love of all that is good, please don't comment here unless you have a gun to offer.

I'm really tired of all the opinions, references, and assorted comments l get every time l post in this forum on what people think l SHOULD do to get the item l want when l have ALREADY exhausted those options in the FIRST PLACE.

Thank you for your advice guys, but the fact remains that there are NO new Springfield muskets available at gun stores, gun shows, Walmarts, or frickin vending machines anywhere and WON'T be for months which is WHY I've posted here for a used rifle.

PLEASE for the love of Mike, please don't comment here unless you have a gun to sell me.

I'm really tired of every time my phone or computer chirps off that l got a new reply on this forum that it turns out to be a comment instead of a gun offer.

Y'all guys hate robo calls and spam, right?

So please......

Well.......this is a Muzzleloading forum pretty much populated by people who come here to talk about the minutia of shooting muzzle loaders for days on end so pretty much you jumped in a pool and are saying the water is too wet, by introducing a topic but telling people they are annoying you by trying to help you out because one of the probably 10 people on Earth with a used 1861 Springfield repro to sell hasn't thrown a rifle at your feet within 2 days

You're probably going to have to just quietly keep searching classifieds and gun shops, and hoping to turn up what you want.

I wanted a Birmingham produced 3-bander P53 Enfield and it took me 2 YEARS to track one down, I stumbled on one at Hyatt Guns online store in the Blackpowder section (there ya go, another lead for ya) after diligently searching everywhere and even asking on here. Hyatt buys used guns and lists new stuff daily. I just bought a Colt 2nd Gen 1851 Navy off of there last week that had listed minutes prior. You never know. Those are hard to find too. There could be an 1861 on there right now, who knows. I bought a beat up 1863 Springfield repro off there last year. I'm giving away one of my secret honey holes, oh no.

That said , who knows, maybe 2 Wright Guns (again where I JUST bought a brand new Pedersoli CS Richmond 6 months ago, lead #2 ) can be contacted and will hold one for you when they get another shipment which they seem to frequently. They don't have them in stock at this precise moment but I called the nice lady who owns this big gun dealer and asked if she had any Pedersoli CS Richmonds and she found one for me. 6 months ago, when stock was probably worse than it is now and we couldn't even find #11 caps . It is possible.

So you're the guy who bought that Richmond.....had my eye on it, just no money at the time.......congrats.

Okay look guys, despite what it says on my profile I've actually been a member here since mid-2000 , but since l hadn't visited in awhile l had to renew my membership under a different name so l know how it is to post either an ad in this forum or a comment.

Trust me, l learned how strong opinions can be here. I was the one asking years ago about the Last of the Mohicans rifle.....boy did that open a can of worms.

Now....l don't have a problem with people offering to help, but the frustrating thing is just as the problem was years ago when l asked about certain guns for sale that l was interested in, is that it seems that every time after l had already explained to everyone that I had already exhausted all other avenues of buying said gun elsewhere and that I'm simply asking if any of the forum members HERE have a gun I'm looking for and would be willing to sell it to me, that it would make sense that if someone owns said gun that they would tell me that they have the gun and this is how much they want for it and we would could then go on from there......done.

However.....

Things apparently never are that easy and to this day, it makes no sense, at least to me anyway, that even after I've explained several times in my ad and in PMs made to me that I've already tried to buy the gun elsewhere that people who DO NOT have a gun to sell would continue to suggest the same place I've already tried before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hot head or a jerk despite what you might think. But after getting several PMs or posts by other members to check on GunBroker or some auction site several times a day it does get tiresome and rather disappointing when you're hoping that you finally got an offer and it turns out to be someone telling you to check a place that several other members already suggested you try.

If you don't have a gun to sell.....fine, no problem, love ya brother.

But why pm me to check GunBroker, Dixie gun works, track of the wolf, two wright arms, gun trader, gunsamerica, when I've explained already more than a few times that I or any other members looking for a specific gun have already done that?

Yesterday l had six people tell me to check GunBroker, three other members suggested the same auction site, and a few others referred me to other places that I've already stated in my post that I've already checked those places.

That might not sound so bad, but guys, it's not just this time around but EVERY single time I've posted looking for a specific gun.

In all fairness, it's not just this forum, cause I've gone through this with sniperhide, hkpro forum and others so forgive my frustration please.

Guys, I'm not mad at anybody, nor do l wish to be rude, all l simply asked from the start is that if you have a Springfield 1861 for sale, please holler at me.

If you don't, as l explained already a couple of times, I've already checked everywhere else so there's no need to refer to me elsewhere.

I made my post HERE, because this PLACE and YOU guys are WHO l want to buy from IF you have what I'm looking for.

But if y'all don't have one.....fine.

Simple enough, l think, but okay.

To keep things friendly here, I'll keep this ad open a couple of days and if no offers, mods can close it and l won't post again.

Easey-peasey........

Last edited:
You just missed one right here on the Forum. Sold last Friday I think. Chiappa 61 with bayonet and scabbard for 650 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back