1861 musket

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by Phil Coffins, Jan 6, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2019 #21

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal.

Muzzleloading rifles are a wierd law into themselves , you just never know what works until you try it.

People said my Euroarms .54 Mississippi won't shoot well with Minies, but it shoots baseball sized groups at 200 with a .535 Minie and 60 gr of Goex 2f.

It does well with patched round balls but at this point I'm not gonna bother with them in this rifle......a sweet shooting Minie ball rifle with bullets that glide down the bore and shoots right, will spoil you to the point where you don't even want to deal with patched balls.

Ringing the 12x12" steel at 200 with that rifle with bullets no one thought would work, was like angels singing :)

ikesdad, hawkeye2 and Poboy like this.
  2. Jan 13, 2019 #22

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

That's truly impressive! Melt those round balls down and make some more minies. It's been my experience in most instances that those who say minies don't or won't shoot well don't understand what it takes to make them work.

ikesdad, Stantheman86 and Va.Manuf.06 like this.
  3. Feb 28, 2019 #23

dave951

dave951

dave951

32 Cal

Ditto on SPG. I shoot NSSA and here's what I've found. On my Parker Hales- both like 50/50 beeswax/lard. I tested this combo directly against crisco concoctions after reading about accuracy issues regarding crisco after it was changed to get out the blood mud ingredients. At least in the PHs, it was absolutely true. At 50yd, bw/lard shoots one ragged hole. Bw/crisco shot just under 2in. However, in my Colt contracts, none of them so far like any load with bw/lard. They seem to prefer loads with Lens Lube sold by the Rebel Trading post at our Nationals.

One other thing to look at, basic Goex is an ok powder, but there are better. Best is Swiss followed closely by Goex Old Eynsford. I tested Swiss/OE/Goex red can/Schutzen. Best accuracy was Swiss followed very very closely by Old E. The groups were extremely close but Swiss had slightly less fouling. Red Can Goex did ok and I tossed the balance of the Schutzen.

4. Feb 28, 2019 #24

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

I used Crisco almost 50 years back in a revolver with good results but I made up a beeswax/Crisco mix a few years back as an experiment and was very dissapointed. Actually I hadn't expected much as a friend who had used a Crisco based lube for years told me that when they changed the formula it rendered it nearly useless. Len's campsite was right next to ours and I used his lube for quite a number of years when Jack Rawls and I shared ammunition and it worked very well, probably still does.

To paraphrase Jackie at Back Creek Gun Shop Swiss is much cleaner than GOEX but for what we (N-SSA) do it isn't worth the extra $$.

5. Feb 28, 2019 #25

dave951

dave951

dave951

32 Cal

For my purposes in NSSA, Swiss is definately overkill. It and Old E shot almost identical for accuracy again with Swiss with a very slight edge. For cartridge guns, I think Swiss is the ticket. In testing Old E against the others, there was no question, Old E yields better accuracy and is cleaner than Goex red can. For NSSA shooting, I'm totally with it.