• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Bridesburg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
img013_zps70595162.jpg

I bought this sportorized musket in 1979 in Ray Mitchell's gun shop in East Wilder NH for $85. I sold it years later for more than twice that. It had obviously been well used after its Civil War service, but the workings of the lock were as new. Wish I still had it -- a real testament to the quality of American gunmaking.

"a real testament to the quality of American gunmaking" You are correct there! In the mid 1800's the US military was equipped with the finest firearms available in the world. I was talking with a friend yesterday who had fired 30,000 rounds through his '41 Mississippi (CW mods to .58 cal.) before he retired it. During that time he had to increase mini ball size twice by .001" each time to compensate for bore wear. He decided to hang it up rather than reline it. This rifle exceeded its design life by 100 times!

They really knew their way around the metal shop. This particular musket had to have been fired thousands and thousands of times with no visible wear on the lock. Nor did they have CNC machining, or even micrometers -- everything was measured with gauges. Really incredible when you think about it.

They really knew their way around the metal shop. This particular musket had to have been fired thousands and thousands of times with no visible wear on the lock. Nor did they have CNC machining, or even micrometers -- everything was measured with gauges. Really incredible when you think about it.

Latest posts

Back