• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1860bolt issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a Pietta 1860 at the gun show today. I believe it to be new, no powder residue , and original box. Passed the function test.
Took it apart for cleaning. upon reassembly, the bolt will not drop down on half cock.
Removed the trigger guard, bolt spring not broken. Took the spring out, returned it , and the bolt still will not drop on half cock. This has me baffled!

The bolt/trigger spring can be installed upside down. If you removed it, try taking the triggerguard off and turning the spring over and then reinstall it. This reverses the position of the two legs on the bolt and trigger and it does make a difference on the Colts.

Spring OK. Strange, when looking at it at the show, I cocked it 6 times checking for function. No problem then.

Some more info. When at half cock, I can push down on the bolt, and it pops back up.
If I push down on the bolt while pulling the hammer to half cock, the bolt stays down.

I may be mis reading this but if you draw the hammer to half cock the bolt should stay down. When you draw it a bit further the bolt leg will slip off the cam and the bolt will pop up. If you lower the hammer to half cock the bolt will still be up. This is the correct cycle of things.

Well, reassembled the grips. Problem still exists. Pushed down on the bolt as I brought the hammer to half cock. Bolt stays down.
Put the barrel and cylinder back on. Revolver works just fine. This is one of the stranges things I have ever seen.

There are several possible causes but could simply be a rough edge on one of the parts which can quickly wear in.

Does the bolt hold the cylinder in place as it should?

Last edited:
Well, reassembled the grips. Problem still exists. Pushed down on the bolt as I brought the hammer to half cock. Bolt stays down.
Put the barrel and cylinder back on. Revolver works just fine. This is one of the stranges things I have ever seen.
Regardless of whether you pushed the bolt down or not as you draw the hammer to half cock the bolt should move down and stay down. This is to allow you to rotate the cylinder and cap it. When you pull the hammer past half cock the bolt leg slips off the cam and the bolt pops back up to lock the cylinder and will stay there until the hammer falls all the way to the nipple and the bolt leg slides over the cam again. Sounds like you revolver is working exactly as it should.

With the cylinder removed, the bolt will not drop down when the hammer goes to half cock. I have to manually push the bolt down when pulling the hammer to half cock.
Then, I replaced the cylinder and barrel. Works fine now. Will just have to do it again on cleaning. As Arcticap said, could just be a burr or something. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back