• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Sailors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there supposed to be sailors on the decks of the ships on the cylinder of an original 1860 Colt army?
can`t seem to find a clear picture of the cylinder, and heard that there was Sailors depicted.

mine appears to have sailors, they could be light pitting though, i can`t tell

I doubt the engraving was that detailed. It memorializes the Battle of Campeche May 16 1843 the victory of the Navy of the Republic of Texas and the Navy of the Republic of Yucatan over the Mexican Navy.
Moral Don't mess with Texas!
Bunk

Funny they would depict a naval scene on an army revolver🧐
it is a long story in the history of Colt firearms.
This is the quick story as i remember it.
The Texas Navy bought a hundred, as I recall, of the Paterson revolvers which kept Colt in business for a while. The Navy did not like them and the Texas Rangers got some and used them to great effect on Comanche Indians. Look up the Battle of enchanted Rock.
During the Mexican war Sam Walker, who remembered the Paterson revolver, got with Colt who designed the 1847 "Walker"" revolver sold 1000 of them to the Army, got back in business and never looked back.
That roll engraved scene commemorates that navel battle and what the Texas Navy did for Colt.
It became kind of trade mark and identified copies of the Colt guns. It was first used on the 1851 Navy revolver.
Bunk

it is a long story in the history of Colt firearms.
This is the quick story as i remember it.
The Texas Navy bought a hundred, as I recall, of the Paterson revolvers which kept Colt in business for a while. The Navy did not like them and the Texas Rangers got some and used them to great effect on Comanche Indians. Look up the Battle of enchanted Rock.
During the Mexican war Sam Walker, who remembered the Paterson revolver, got with Colt who designed the 1847 "Walker"" revolver sold 1000 of them to the Army, got back in business and never looked back.
That roll engraved scene commemorates that navel battle and what the Texas Navy did for Colt.
It became kind of trade mark and identified copies of the Colt guns. It was first used on the 1851 Navy revolver.
Bunk
It was also called the "Old Model Belt Pistol" or the "Old M0del Navy Pistol"
according to the Haven and Belden book A History of the Colt Revolver pg 74/75
respectfully submitted
Bunk

Back