• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyham

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase an 1860 Colt Revolver, but see so many brands (Uberti, Traditions, Pietta, IAR, EMF). If they all seem to be about the same, which one is the better buy? Any ideas

I would go with the uberti, unless you want to spend a little more then you might contact U.S. FIREARMS MANUFACTURING CO, if they still do percussion. They used to buy uberti and rebuild and refit them.

Tommyham:
Unless you want the Colt for Civil War reenactments I would suggest the 1858 Remington by Uberti. It is by all accounts a super fine shooter. It's all according to what you want to do with a pistol - target competition or play reenacting. In the latter it doesn't matter. If you are going to shoot in a sanctioned NMLRA "as issued" revolver pistol match, then it must be as issued without adjustable sights. Remember, there are many 1858 Remingtons with adjustable sights that would be disqualified. It must be exactly like the Uberti 1858 Remington with fixed sights. Last month MIDWAYUSA had the Uberti on sale for $165. It's now back to $175 and that's a steal!
shocked.gif
Check their web site out and read the customer reviews who have purchased one. I own a Ruger "Old Army" and they are known to shoot very good. My Uberti Remington shoots equally as well as the Ruger for $200+ dollars less! It is a wonderful gun! I've also owned several Colt's. The Colt doesn't have the top strap holding the frame and cylinder together making it very prone to loosen itself with excessive play. Especially stay away from ALL brass frames. You couldn't give me one. I shoot on a monthly basis and I've never witnessed someone with a Colt take the blue ribbon yet. Good luck with your decision.

Tommyham: For my money it would be Uberti. The fit and finish (including all of the interior lock parts) is much better than the other brands which may explain why they cost more than the other brands.
As was mentioned by Russel, stay away from the brass framed guns (unless you are into Confederate reinactment) as the cylinder pins attachment to the frame will tend to shoot loose after a few hundred shots.
I much prefer the feel and pointability of the Colt to the Remington 1858 but for serious target work the Remington is a better choice.
Be aware that almost all of the pistols without adjustable sights shoot high (out of many I have only 2 shoot to the point of aim) so even for plinking you will need to do some paper punching to find out exactly where your hitting.
Good luck and happy shooting!!

Back