• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 colt 44 short barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenmtnboy said:
mazo kid said:
That's a fine lookin' '60. You may remember my posts a while back about building my bird head grip snubbie '51 from a rough Pietta kit. It was a fun project and I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Birdheadgrip.jpg
Where did you get that kit?
I have yet to see one.
Did it come short and with that birds head?
This wasn't a snubbie bird head grip kit. It was the full sized revolver kit, only finished parts were the barrel and cylinder. I cut the barrel off, modified the grip frame, made new grips, rust blued the frame...all new things for me to try to see if I could do them. This is what I started with:
51Navy.jpg

No turning back now!
51Navy1.jpg

Starting to shape up.
51Navy3.jpg

My sight is a piece of 1/8" brazing rod threaded into the barrel.

Thanks, I really don't want to get rid of it just yet. Here is a picture of an old original I saved from an on-line auction:
bellygun58colt.jpg

In my researching I found that it was fairly common for a handy man or blacksmith to shorten the barrels for ease of carry. They were a short range gun.

mazo kid said:
Thanks, I really don't want to get rid of it just yet. Here is a picture of an old original I saved from an on-line auction:

Hey! I called dibbs first!

mazo kid said:
In my researching I found that it was fairly common for a handy man or blacksmith to shorten the barrels for ease of carry. They were a short range gun.

I recently saw an original 1851 Colt Navy turned Pepperbox. The cylinder pin was shortened, and a large head screw held the cylinder in place. The frame was, also, shortened, to match the length of the cylinder. Nicely done.

CP

mazo kid said:

I recently saw an original 1851 Colt Navy turned Pepperbox. The cylinder pin was shortened, and a large head screw held the cylinder in place. The frame was, also, shortened, to match the length of the cylinder. Nicely done.
CP[/quote]
Robert, now that's what I would call a SNUBBIE!

mazo kid said:
Robert, now that's what I would call a SNUBBIE!

:shake: Nicht Robert ist mein nomen. Deutsch bin Ich und ist Robt mein nomen. Rrrooobt.

Robert is my step brother's name. Thank you.

.. nov 21 / 17:35

short range ? uummm, not to dispute your research, but mine is very accurate out to at least 15 yards...

snub019-1.jpg

(too bad i'm not as good with the camera)

the problem i'm having is that the original loading lever assembly doesn't fit with the new, shortened barrel and i can't seem to fix it.. i end up having to put the original 5" barrel back on, then load, take it off, and then reinstall the 3"... this gets old real fast.

:hatsoff: ~d~

ps. modified .44 navy arms 1860 "confederate sheriff"

Lemat said:
the problem i'm having is that the original loading lever assembly doesn't fit with the new, shortened barrel and i can't seem to fix it.. i end up having to put the original 5" barrel back on, then load, take it off, and then reinstall the 3"... this gets old real fast.

If you can find a Patterson loading tool, or make/have made something similar, you could eliminate the step of putting the 5 inch barrel on to seat the balls.

BTW, that is a neat compact revolver!!!

Steve

If you're already taking the barrel off to load it. Why not get a cylinder loader. I use one and I don't need to take the barrel off. I find it easier and faster. With a good wedge fit, it's easy to remove the cylinder.

"[/quote]short range ? uummm, not to dispute your research, but mine is very accurate out to at least 15 yards...

snub019-1.jpg

(too bad i'm not as good with the camera)

the problem i'm having is that the original loading lever assembly doesn't fit with the new, shortened barrel and i can't seem to fix it.. i end up having to put the original 5" barrel back on, then load, take it off, and then reinstall the 3"... this gets old real fast.hatsoff: ~d~

ps. modified .44 navy arms 1860 "confederate sheriff"[/quote]

I haven't made my cylinder loading tool stand yet, and thought that is what I would use to load it. Another thought was to modify the loading lever so that it would hook under the pivot screw in the frame. That would be quick to use and then wouldn't have to remove the cylinder to load it.

Back