• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short Arm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My ?, Dixie has two Uberti 1860 Army revolver listed. One is a RHO342 the other is a RHO700 the price is around $30.00 differents. What would be the difference between these two revolver ?

Short Arm said:
My ?, Dixie has two Uberti 1860 Army revolver listed. One is a RHO342 the other is a RHO700 the price is around $30.00 differents. What would be the difference between these two revolver ?

Well, in MY copy of the DGW catalogue, it states that the RHO342 model is a plain ol' thang, but that the RHO700 is N/SSA-approved.

There ya go. :thumbsup:

tac, proud possessor of every DGW catalog/ue in my possession.

tac

Short Arm said:

RH0700 Uberti 1860 Army Revolver $322.50
The Uberti 1860 Army revolver has a one piece grip and a European walnut stock. The frame is steel and color casehardened. The barrel is .44 caliber, blued, 8" tapered round. Features a blued steel backstrap, brass triggerguard, color casehardened loading lever and hammer. Full fluted cylinder. Cut for shoulder stock. N/SSA approved.

RH0342 Uberti 1860 Army Revolver $295.00
The 1860 Army took the place of the 3rd Model Dragoon and ranks third in the total number produced of the various Colt percussion handguns. One piece grips with European walnut stock. Steel frame, color casehardened. Features blued steel backstrap and brass triggerguard. Color casehardened loading lever and hammer. Cylinder engraved w/ naval scene. Cut for shoulder stock. Manufactured by Uberti/Italy. N/SSA APPROVED.

What does the "Full fluted cylinder" even help with? weight maybe?

It looks different and is easy to spot but i dont see any advantage.

Weight is about it. I've had both and the difference is a couple ounces,or so, at best. Really preferred the regular one since it kept a bit more weight near the balance point...maybe the whole thing was just in my mind! :wink:

the flutes remove metal so they wouldn't do anything to strengthen it but the walls would still be adequate for intended loads.

Fluting reduces weight, helps with heat issues, and in some circumstances can increase rigidity. However, it is mostly useful in longer barrels, especially rifles. For revolver cylinders, it may save an ounce or two in weight, but that is about all. Some people do prefer the look of a fluted cylinder.

Originaly it was thought that the flutes helped prevent cylinders bursting ,Colt then found using better steel was the go . :)

Full fluted cylinders probably do save a minimal amount of weight but the half-fluted cylinders just gotta be eye candy! :haha:

IMHO the most sought-after model 1860 Uberti is the Charcoal Blue with fluted cylinder. Fit & finish are exceptional and so is the accuracy & timing. Myself & several friends in the same club have fine examples of this piece, all imported by Taylor's in Winchester, VA.

I used this gun to shoot the NRA Qualification course (25 yards strong-hand & 50 yards with both hands) to earn my Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Pistol. It locks up super tight, no play, and I believe the fluted cylinder models seem to get a little more attention timing-wise, since there isn't much "meat" left to cover the forcing cone of the barrel. On a NRA B-6 50 yard slow-fire target, it was routinely possible to score 85 x 100, often bettering most folk's single-shot scores........

Needless to say I highly recommend this fluted cylinder charcoal blue edition.

Dave

Back