• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always had a fancy for ASM revolvers. I am curious about yours: what is the date code?

Later ASM revolvers (70's and onward) concentrated the date code, proof marks, serial number in a small area on the bottom front of the frame near the barrel lug.

This is a photo of an ASM 1849 Pocket, but it is the same as the other ASM revolvers insofar as the nomenclature is concerned. The left arrow points to the ASM logo. The right arrow points to a two letter date code in a rectangle. The other markings are two proof marks and the SN.

View attachment 58577

This is the Italian date code chart..

View attachment 58580

Regards,

Jim
I'll get back to you with the Codes. BTW, I'd already copied this chart to have handy, but you've done a good service for fellows by posting it here! I have an ASM 1851 I bought at the same time as my 1860, from EMF. They were about $135. back around early '90's. I'll get back to you, I use the Library computer! I'm 'old time' in more ways than one. My revolvers were the "Hartford Model" which was a bit finer or fancier. Nice silver plate TG's. Thanks, this is a great site.

I'll get back to you with the Codes. BTW, I'd already copied this chart to have handy, but you've done a good service for fellows by posting it here! I have an ASM 1851 I bought at the same time as my 1860, from EMF. They were about $135. back around early '90's. I'll get back to you, I use the Library computer! I'm 'old time' in more ways than one. My revolvers were the "Hartford Model" which was a bit finer or fancier. Nice silver plate TG's. Thanks, this is a great site.
The 1860 & 1851 were 1994 and 1995, or vice versa. My Rogers Spencer is 1988. Was fun finding out about the Italian date codes; I have couple of muskets, nice to date them.

Pietta just stamps a year on now, my newest one just has "2020" under the barrel.

The "2020" under the barrel just shows the date run that that Pietta manufactured the barrel. Previous Pietta revolvers, within several date codes, have shown variously "2010" and "2016", among others, on the underside of the barrel. It is Pietta's way of keeping track of production barrel runs that they have in stock. I have a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 CM/2014 that is stamped "2010" on the underside of the barrel. It is no way indicative of the manufacture date of the revolver which is dictated by Italian law.

Starting with the year 2020, the new date codes are Arabic numericals within the rectangle. This is not a Pietta thing: Italian law dictates date codes and proof marks on assembled firearms. I suspect Uberti and Pedersoli guns will start showing up with the new series, I just have not seen any examples yet.

If you want to see how Pietta transitioned from pre-CNC revolvers to CNC manufacturing and the steps involved, you need to watch this. Pay attention to the early parts of the vid.

Regards,

Jim

The "2020" under the barrel just shows the date run that that Pietta manufactured the barrel. Previous Pietta revolvers, within several date codes, have shown variously "2010" and "2016", among others, on the underside of the barrel. It is Pietta's way of keeping track of production barrel runs that they have in stock. I have a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 CM/2014 that is stamped "2010" on the underside of the barrel. It is no way indicative of the manufacture date of the revolver which is dictated by Italian law.

Starting with the year 2020, the new date codes are Arabic numericals within the rectangle. This is not a Pietta thing: Italian law dictates date codes and proof marks on assembled firearms. I suspect Uberti and Pedersoli guns will start showing up with the new series, I just have not seen any examples yet.

If you want to see how Pietta transitioned from pre-CNC revolvers to CNC manufacturing and the steps involved, you need to watch this. Pay attention to the early parts of the vid.

Regards,

Jim

This is good information! Thanks so much.

I got hold of an old ASM 1860 a while back and sold my Pietta Army. The ASM grip fit my hand better than the Pietta whose grip was fatter. The new/used Colt Navy has trimmer grips than either my 2018 Pietta or 1965 Uberti 1851 Navy. The 1965 Uberti comes the closest to the original slim grip. One brand may feel better in your hand as grip frame flare and grip thickness vary from maker to maker. Right now you may not have much choice to choose from sadly.
agreed my asm is much more comfortable than my pietta and uberti, bought a 1860 efm thinking it would have the same feel as my asm, nope!

Speaking of 1860 Colts. I couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on this baby. Serial numbers match on all parts and paperwork from Colt on issue to Army officer and the date it was issued. Action still works, bore is a little ruff but it’s just gonna hang out in my office.

Attachments

• B008E684-64D4-48CE-916C-7380F8099DDC.jpeg
    B008E684-64D4-48CE-916C-7380F8099DDC.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 83
Man, I really like my pietta. A LOT. It's the navy though. Can't imagine that their army wouldn't be the same quality.

I can't comment on uberti, or traditions or any of the others. But I do know that when I looked at my pietta, I saw NO NEED to look at anything else.

I'm sure others have other opinions, and there's something to be said about getting an authentic colt company revolver. But I am nothing but pleased with what I have.

My suggestion is shop around and see what you like.

Latest posts

Back