• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1858 Target Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video gives no information about the accuracy of the revolver. One handed and an unknown distance means nothing. I sure wish folks would use a rest and describe the loads when reporting accuracy.

The video gives no information about the accuracy of the revolver. One handed and an unknown distance means nothing. I sure wish folks would use a rest and describe the loads when reporting accuracy.
My pair will hit inside 2 inch bull at 25 yards all day long. 22g, .454 ball, wax/veg oil mix over ball.

Sounds right but,You should try it some time. Then repeat test later. You may find it`s a lot harder than modern pistols off a rest. 2in. 5 shot groups at 50 yards are what I expect from my match BP guns.Yes, proven off sand bags. 6 groups per gun til I found the right loads for six guns. Many hours over many days...c

It wasn't an "Unknown" distance. It was approximately 25 yards. I stated the load as 30 grains, using a .454 ball. No wad, no filler as they are not necessary (That is an argument for another day, although I will say that it was never heard on the battle field "Oh my God!! I'm out of cream of wheat!!") As for using a rest, why? Using a rest does absolutely NOTHING beneficial. The difference between natural movement of any pistol in the hand and on a rest is night and day. It would be pointless to zero a weapon in a vice or rest, because you would NEVER be able to replicate that hold in your hands, Ever. The video showed a very good group of about an inch and a half to two inches, but I needed to file the rear sight to get it on target (Which it now is). The way these were originally designed, was to be fired off hand (In the strong hand). The natural movement of these arms (Or any hand gun) works to it's and the shooters benefit. Go out and fire it until it feels as natural as taking a breath. Trigger squeeze (Not pull) should be smooth and precise with small movement using the meat/pad/print of your finger, not the first knuckle. Control your breathing, fire only at the top or bottom of a breath until you are comfortable and most importantly, strengthen your muscle tone in that arm, you can't hit anything with a shaky or wavering aim. You and your weapon must work as ONE to work properly and aim true. Period.

Elmer Kieth books taught me the rudiments of pistol craft but it takes dedicated continual practice to stay proficient. He taught a simple principle to hold six o'clock on a target with the sight so regulated to the target being shot then learn to take up trigger pressure only when the sights are aligned but hold when they move off and don't give back any pressure, when they move on again continue the pressure take up until the trigger finally breaks when the sights are in alignment. Never try to grab the bull as it passes by. The reason for a six o'clock hold is because you are able to see the whole target and as a consequence have better windage and elevation definition than if you are sighted on the middle of the bull . The center bull hold makes the front sight cover half of your target.
If you give back any pressure in this sequence then start the whole regimen over. If you hold the shot over ten seconds or so pull it down, breath, rest and start again.
The foucus is on the front sight.The target should be out of focus slightly when your doing it correctly. When coming up align the back sight with the front sight then onto the target. Easy to say, takes real work to make it happen consistently.

Elmer Kieth books taught me the rudiments of pistol craft but it takes dedicated continual practice to stay proficient. He taught a simple principle to hold six o'clock on a target with the sight so regulated to the target being shot then learn to take up trigger pressure only when the sights are aligned but hold when they move off and don't give back any pressure, when they move on again continue the pressure take up until the trigger finally breaks when the sights are in alignment. Never try to grab the bull as it passes by. The reason for a six o'clock hold is because you are able to see the whole target and as a consequence have better windage and elevation definition than if you are sighted on the middle of the bull . The center bull hold makes the front sight cover half of your target.
If you give back any pressure in this sequence then start the whole regimen over. If you hold the shot over ten seconds or so pull it down, breath, rest and start again.
The foucus is on the front sight.The target should be out of focus slightly when your doing it correctly. When coming up align the back sight with the front sight then onto the target. Easy to say, takes real work to make it happen consistently.

Elmer Kieth was a great source in his day and while his theories and opinions on six-guns in general are not far off, they can be a bit long winded and overbearing/over thought in my opinion (No offense to him). I would suggest the OLD Version of the ARMY Field Manual 23-35 (WAR DEPARTMENT FIELD MANUAL. PISTOLS. AND. REVOLVERS 1960 edition) http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Manuals/FM 23-35.pdf

Picked up one of the target models for cheap that had the chambers mangled by someone who didn't know much about reaming holes. Stuck a spare cylinder in it that had been sitting in a box for many years. Now it's good to go.
Gonna size the hind ends on some 217 grainers to slip into the chambers and see how she does.

25 yards well inside inches all day.

Maddman
Your video was good. I shoot 200 grn Hornady swaged SWC in my Bealls Reminton ASP revolvers. Where did you get those horn grips again?
DL

Maddman
Your video was good. I shoot 200 grn Hornady swaged SWC in my Bealls Reminton ASP revolvers. Where did you get those horn grips again?
DL

The grips are made by a company called N.C. Ordnance here in NC (in Wilson) that have become one of my sponsors on my YouTube channel. I am also working with them as a distributor. I am actually very proud to promote their grips, as I really like them. The price point is right on target and the quality is superb.

I took three revolver national championships and set one record with this model at the NMLRA Nationals in Friendship Indiana. Nice revolver. A bargain for any shooter new or seasoned. I don't have any experience with any other revolvers besides a Pietta copy of a Colt 1851 Navy though. So I suppose I'm partial.

Latest posts

Back