• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1858 Remington (which one)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffg

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Need a little help choosing an 1858 Remington replica, there are so many out there, and would like opinions to get the best bang for my $ $ thanks:doh:

Depends on how much you shoot it. If you plan to do a lot of shooting you want a steel frame version. Otherwise for more occasional shooting then a brass frame version is fine.

Uberti made might be arguably a little better than the Pietta made ones.

Taylor and co gets their guns from several sources but both Pietta and Uberti make their black powder guns. But their stainless steel ones might be the way to go if you plan on doing a lot of shooting, I think that Uberti makes their stainless steel versions.

Last edited:
I had a couple of Uberti 1858's a while back, but gave them to my son. However, I did do a little research. @64Springer is right in that you can go blind reading all there is out there, but my guess is you're aware of this and asking for some suggestions to narrow it down.

Forget about brand names for a few minutes, and look at features. You can get these with brass frames or steel. I would get steel. It is more authentic and it wears better. Some of the Remington reproductions have cast steel frames and some are forged. I would go with a forged frame. I've heard of voids in the cast frames, for one thing.

Think about the finish you want. I don't like nickel or stainless, but that's my prejudice. Taylor's has 1858's with a modern matte-black finish which is not authentic but is said to be durable. I would consider one of these, but I prefer a more traditional blue.

I believe some of the Remingtons have a dovetailed (I.e. drift adjustable) front sight, although I'm not certain. This may be something to look for if you are a serious target shooter.

Those are just suggestions. I have no doubt you'll get a lot more. Good luck in your search!

Notchy Bob

Angel Eyes liked two-tone.
Angel Eyes1.png

If you're a fan of the movie you might go that route. It's a simple matter to remove the bluing from the loading lever on the new Ubertis.

I bought a new Uberti 36 cal. last year and really like it. The wood they use for the grips is sort of plain but the rest of the finish is great. It has a dovetailed front sight which was too tall- they need to be filed down to whatever suits you.

it is my humble opinion that 44 is definatly the way to go as it has much higher power and powder capacity , futher more if they offer it in stainless that would be my personal preferance as it will likly hold a better long term value and is waaaay esier to clean ,these are exceptionally fun to shoot and i also recomend perhaps adding at least one or two spare cylinders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three Remington NMA .44 cal. guns, an Artax Match (matte black), a Hege Match (blued), and a Pietta (stainless steel).
The Artax cost me a bit (~800 bucks) and the Pietta about 200 (that was a while ago).
I did a lot of competitions with the Artax and at the same time, I prepared the Pietta and worked on it quite well. Now the Pietta is on par with the Artax and my Pedersoli/Hege Match Walther barrel...
If you want a good gun without breaking the bank, buy a Pietta, you won't be disappointed, and if you work a little on it with a little patience and with the advice of a competent guy, you will have an excellent gun capable of the best...
Now, with the CNC machines (like the Uberti) they are mechanically very good out of the box.
20 grains of 3Fg and a bullet of .451 and the world is yours... ;)

Last edited:
Need a little help choosing an 1858 Remington replica, there are so many out there, and would like opinions to get the best bang for my $ $ thanks:doh:
How much are you willing to spend on quality? And how do you intend to use it?

If you want the best quality sturdy reliable piece you can get, look for a Ruger Old Army. It’s 1858 Remington “style” but super strong and accurate with the right load. They’re discontinued nowadays but not hard to find second hand.

The Pedersoli 1858 Remington is VERY well made, and built for target shooting/competition. I‘ve handled one and it was magnificent quality. However it’s as dear as poison so expect to pay $$$ for it.

Pietta has lifted their game in recent years and make a very nice chrome 1858. It is a bit muzzle heavy compared to the Pedersoli, but still a niece piece.

Uberti has a little edge over Pietta, but you will be satisfied with Uberti and a good balance of affordability and quality.

I would avoid brass frames because they just aren’t as strong.

All this is just my own opinion and experience.

Good luck

The price of the used Rugers scared me off.
I'd buy two Italian made before I gave someone 800 bucks for a used Ruger.

And yes, I'm still kicking myself for not buying one for 375 a while back. But I didn't think it warranted collector prices then and I don't think so now.

I have an Uberti 1858 .44 and tonight I sanded off that shiny plastic feeling grip and put on some boiled linseed oil and I am way happier with the look and feel of it. Probably going to do this to all future revolvers. Seriously, the feel in your hand is night and day.

Attachments

• 20230328_023935.jpg
    20230328_023935.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I’ve got a Pietta with 5.5 inch barrel , just because it’s lighter to carry. It’s a 44 and has never failed me. I’ve kept it load for over a year. Always worked never jamed. Your mileage might vary.

I have several pietta 1858s and 1 uberti. The uberti is better quality but unless you are shooting weekly either one will do fine. My uberti is a sheriff model and like it for the lighter weight and ease in and out of a smaller holster. I wouldn't leave a load in any muzzle loader over night but some people do. Defiantly go with an all steel frame blued or stainless it will last longer. 44 is the most common but 36 is still historicly correct and less expensive to shoot.

Back