• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross Maynard

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a 1858 Lyman 44cal. One of the nipple holes is deeper than the rest.The hammer wont contact the cap.The gun has Ubertie markings on it.In the forums opinion would a new Ubertie cylinder fit this gun to get all 6 chambers up and running?

1858 has saftey notches I would like all 6 up and running

We in Cowboy Action Shooting do not consider it safe to load all six chambers on a cap and ball revolver. This is a dangerous practice that should be avoided. The safety notches are NOT an acceptable safety device by our standards, and you should not use it.

I Do not shoot cowboy action. We are getting away from origanal Question. I want all six cilinders to work properly as the gun was intended.

Hello Ross,

Another option would be to measure the difference of the deeper set nipple and the rest.
Then place a washer type shim under the lower nipple. Of course depending on how much deeper the one is set, I wouldn't recommend shimming more than .100". Also you would want the shim to be tight on the nipple, not just a sloppy washer for this. I'd measure all and set the deeper one at the average of the five others. Of course if you don't want to mess with shimming or keeping track of a longer nipple, the only option would be to purchase a new cylinder. I believe a Pietta Cylinder can be cut down to fit a Uberti.

AntiqueSledMan.

Ross, what is the date code on your Uberti Lyman? Uberti changed their nipple thread sometime in the late 70s. Shiming might be a solution as others have suggested. You might check with Track of the Wolf to see if they have a nipple with a longer cone. A good machinist should also be able to make one to your specs, although the cost would probably me more than buying a new cylinder. Good Luck!

Back