• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1856 Enfield Cavalry Carbine - Indian Replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now to be sure, the 89 grains are in weight of powder, not number of individual grains. Of course we measure grains of powder by volume so that, where appropriate, the lighter density substitutes can be measured and loaded safely.

And I am sure you knew that.

About 6 months ago i sold one these Indian Carbines. It was new unfired and in "577 " smoothbore IIRC, I liked it but for some reason never shot it as 20 plastic gauge wad cups wouldn't fit and i am too old to make my own. Was wandering around a gunshow yesterday (yes an actual gunshow!!) and saw what it thought was my old carbine on a rack. Nope!! This one was like the OPs in .72/12 Gauge. Was very (extremely) reasonable as owner considered it just a souvenir wall decoration. Working on it now. Its unfired, Stock mortises full of sawdust from when it was made and has the usual spots of surface rust under barrel and on steel parts common to Indian made stuff. Bore was packed with black grease. Lock is very (if maybe too strong) and the "capture type" ramrod needs adjustment. May post pics if wanted when its back together. This one i will shoot!! FWIW serial number is like 17,000!!!! (I don't believe it)

Finally got pics up. Note that swivels are brass and not steel. Will try it out soon as "bomber" the squirrel is off the cute list with his pine cone pelting antics.
20210413_133304.jpg
20210413_133310.jpg

Attachments

• 20210413_133351.jpg
    20210413_133351.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210413_133342.jpg
    20210413_133342.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210411_135332.jpg
    20210411_135332.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 66
Not sure about ball. That's one big chunk of lead to fling. Since posting in 2021. The carbine has really been fun using plastic power piston cups and #6 or 7.5# shot over 70 grains 2 f. Musket caps are still dear which is a downer. May fit a normal cap nipple soon. FWIW one of these just brought an astounding $650 at a local show. Such is the sad tale of our "inflato" bucks. That said we are off in a few minutes to drop 3/4 of a mill on house. Should add MR fox got to Bomber the squirrel before me. Kinda miss the the little PITA.

View attachment 20369 Hello all!

This is my first post as a new member and I'm joining this forum in hopes to gather some answers/advice regarding a new smooth bore I picked up at a gun show yesterday, my first non-centerfire gun. It's got all the looks of the 1856 Enfield Cavalry Carbine to include the hinge-captured ramrod. Evidently an Indian reproduction. Looking it over on the left side of the receiver, it has written:
"Narain Jagannath Sikligar Udaipur ###18
1\63 1972 Export made in India" (the backslash is correct, not rifling)
On the right and top it has ballistic information:
".729 not nitro 89 grs 1 1/4oz"

If I interpret it correctly, that means it fires a .70-cal ball with a 89-grain or 1.25 oz charge of powder (ffg)? Some similar replicas apparently fire .62-cal balls, while other sources say .577-cal. But, mine measures .720" across the muzzle with no visible taper. That opens up some versatility as a shotgun, haha. It's got fouling in the breech that is indicative of it having been fired, and the gun certainly looks and feels solid, so I feel confident it's a firing replica.

Could I have some advice, please? Is my interpretation of the information on the side of the receiver correct? Any problem with it shooting ball ammo? Does that powder charge sound right for ffg, or is there a better powder for it? Also, what size percussion caps should I get for this? The percussion cap receptical measures .220". Thank you all in advance!
Where did you find the round balls for this and what size did you use? Did you use wads as well? I just got one of these from Gun Broker.

Closest i got to ball was like 6 .40 buckshot in a cap. Recoil was substantial as was close range impact. These are pretty close to legal SBS as you can get and impressive when hip fired. Would like to hear how recoil from a .70 ball feels. That said i was told a patched ball was the demise of old w. Richards DBS. top Center rib came loose

Back