• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Yank Snub Nose 44 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim DOwns

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a 1851 Yank Snub Nose, my problem is I loaded it with Hornady round balls they loaded like my other pistols I got the thin lead ring that was shaved off after a week or so of carrying the gun I noticed the balls looked like they had all moved forward and I could easily push them back down the cylinder. Any thoughts on why this would happen? My spare cylinder was just sitting there and same thing with that one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Hi,
It would seem that your lead balls are too small.
Yes you are shaving lead, but not enough. If you are using .451 balls, step up to .454 balls or .457 balls.
Your loose balls that have moved off the powder and leaving an air space between ball and powder is an accident waiting to happen.
You will blow your cylinder, sooner or later.
I don't mean to frighten you, but your loose balls ( in the cylinder) is a hazard waiting to happen..
I saw a nice Lyman pepper box come apart from a similar situation. It took some time for everybody to relax after changing their underware.
Fred

Hi,
It would seem that your lead balls are too small.
Yes you are shaving lead, but not enough. If you are using .451 balls, step up to .454 balls or .457 balls.
Your loose balls that have moved off the powder and leaving an air space between ball and powder is an accident waiting to happen.
You will blow your cylinder, sooner or later.
I don't mean to frighten you, but your loose balls ( in the cylinder) is a hazard waiting to happen..
I saw a nice Lyman pepper box come apart from a similar situation. It took some time for everybody to relax after changing their underware.
Fred
Thanks Fred,
Thats what i figure the chambers must be just a little bigger than my other pistols, I use 454 in those and tried it in the snub nose and apparently I have to use the .457. Thanks for the help.

if you are using that brass rod thing to load the balls may not be centered. I shoot snubbies a lot and my suggestion is to load the cylinder off the gun using one of the presses made for that purpose. I have four Pietta snubbies which have been shot hundreds of times using .451 balls with a lubed felt wad under the ball and no grease on top. All have Slixshot cones and use #10 Remington caps. I have yet to have a chain fire.

Back