• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Snubnose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It just arrived!! DGW is always quick to ship and easy on the wallet (Well, sometimes ) Man, this critter is SWEET. Smooth as butter action, timing is actually great (Half cock is crisp and right on time, second and third clicks are almost consecutive, as they should be, at the end of travel) hammer pull is light (Maybe 1.5lbs) and she looks amazing. The checkering is a delight, the grip is comfy in my giant lunch hooks. Perfection. I love it. Review video to come. Thanks Dixie Gun Works, Inc. Sure, it's a bastardized version of some kind of Franken-Volver and somewhat of a fantasy piece' being an 1851.44 yet having 1877 grips, but SHHHHHHHH, quiet you!

Attachments

• DSC00229.JPG
    DSC00229.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00231.JPG
    DSC00231.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00232.JPG
    DSC00232.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC00233.JPG
    DSC00233.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00234.JPG
    DSC00234.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 127
Thats sure a good looking piece. And knowing how fussy you are about a handgun operating silky smooth, your review of that Pietta says a lot. I want to see the video for sure.

It just arrived!! DGW is always quick to ship and easy on the wallet (Well, sometimes ) Man, this critter is SWEET. Smooth as butter action, timing is actually great (Half cock is crisp and right on time, second and third clicks are almost consecutive, as they should be, at the end of travel) hammer pull is light (Maybe 1.5lbs) and she looks amazing. The checkering is a delight, the grip is comfy in my giant lunch hooks. Perfection. I love it. Review video to come. Thanks Dixie Gun Works, Inc. Sure, it's a bastardized version of some kind of Franken-Volver and somewhat of a fantasy piece' being an 1851.44 yet having 1877 grips, but SHHHHHHHH, quiet you!

They are great fun to shoot. My armory has a pair, one 1860 Army style frame and barrel and one 1851 Navy style frame and barrel both in .44 caliber.
I use a press to load off the gun because my experience with that brass rammer thing is great for seating caps but not much else.
The Army snubby is sort of based on the AVENGING ANGEL guns used by a Mormon religious group. Look it up very interesting. The Navy frame gun is a Pietta fantasy gun.
I replaced those horrible bird head grips with a set of 1860 Army full size grips.
Worth the trouble.
Bunk

I got rid of the bird head grips because they would not give me a constant solid grip when drawing from a holster. Perhaps my muscle memory is formed for a regular grip but I could not get an indexed firing grip. They look cool, but simply were not my cup of cow boy coffee. Traded to a friend for his wife's gun so every body was happy.
Hold Center
Bunk

I got rid of the bird head grips because they would not give me a constant solid grip when drawing from a holster. Perhaps my muscle memory is formed for a regular grip but I could not get an indexed firing grip. They look cool, but simply were not my cup of cow boy coffee. Traded to a friend for his wife's gun so every body was happy.
Hold Center
Bunk
I'll admit, I did have some reservations about the comfortability. But I like them to be honest. They seem to fit the curvature of my palm very well and I was able to clear leather pretty quick with it to boot, getting the hammer back on the way out took a few attempts the get down, but not too bad. I do however see how different size hands could have an issue with them though. On a side note, You ever tried to draw a Walker from a California in a hurry? You better have your belt at an 80 degree angle :D

Back