• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1851 Plunger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I want to load conical bullets in my Pietta 1851 Colt in .36 cal. I have heard that the Uberti plungers have a plunger that can be used for conical bullets and is interchangeable with the Pietta. Have any of y'all heard this or done this?

I want to load conical bullets in my Pietta 1851 Colt in .36 cal. I have heard that the Uberti plungers have a plunger that can be used for conical bullets and is interchangeable with the Pietta. Have any of y'all heard this or done this?
It isn't exactly interchangeable, you have the increase the diameter of the loading lever drill through on the under barrel to fit the Uberti loading lever. The ODs between the two manufacturers differ and the Uberti is a little thicker compared to the Pietta. Guns of the West has a good video showing the modification but can't seem to find it at the moment.

I actually just purchased a Uberti plunger from Taylors to shoot Richmond conicals from my 1851. Its of course on back order...

I'll try and find the video and post a link to it for reference.

Here you are.

Remove the loading lever and use a brass .36 ramrod like I did with two of my Pietta navies

Plus I think they look cool "de levered" kind of like a Paterson

Older Piettas might swap out with Uberti plungers. My older Pietta Griswold revolver did.

The new Pietta’s need to be filed or drilled out to accommodate an Uberti plunger. I have decided to drill out the hole for the plunger.I just need to buy some cold bluing before I start the project.

Grind/ file/ muck about with the $25 rammer not the irreplaceable frame. It is a case of making the less expensive part fit the expensive one. Better yet modify the Pietta rammer first.
Respectfully
Bunk

Grind/ file/ muck about with the $25 rammer not the irreplaceable frame. It is a case of making the less expensive part fit the expensive one. Better yet modify the Pietta rammer first.
Respectfully
Bunk

In general I would agree with you, but filing out the plunger hole is not that risky and the barrel assembly is hardly irreplaceable.

Back