• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 or 1860 barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pietta 1860 stubby (birds head grip) but am going to put a 5 inch barrel on this birdshead grip frame so I can have a loading leave and have a little better ballistics.

I like the 1851 (in .44 cal) barrel but am kind of interested in opinions and likes.

Who prefers an 1851 barrel and who prefers a 1860 barrel.

Also, what's the cylinder gap on these revolver suppose to be?

Here it is with a 7 inch barrel but I want it more compact.

20210613_114646.jpg

The 1851 was never factory made with a 44 cal barrel. Colt offered the gun only in 36.
The 44cal 1851 barrels are a modern "fantasy" design.
The primary difference between the 1851 and 1860 in the contour hexagon or smooth,
With the birds head grip, I would think the issue of barrel weight should be considered first.
The round 1860 would be a little lighter.

I'd put that 1860 snubby barrel in the picture on it for packing, you can usually load your chambers with a piece of ramrod through the rammer hole in the frame; I do this with my 3" cut down Navy .44 and it works great. You can put a drawer pull knob on the ramrod for comfort. Cutting the Navy barrel to 5" does not leave enough ramrod, you will need an extension. It would make a cool looking 'Doc Holliday' gun though! P.S. If you do have to use it in defense, take Wild Bill's advice and aim for the navel; it will shock the opposing force and help get you away alive, and the doctors can perhaps save him if he doesn't die of trauma.

Last edited:
I'm kind of worried about this cylinder. My 1851 in .44 cal can make a full lead ring with .451 ball when pressed in but the cylinder holes on this 1860 fluted cylinder will only produce half a ring with .451 balls. I'm going to get it reamed and see what next size bigger ball will do. Love how it looks though.

The ,003 is pretty tight to my knowledge, I thought .006 was more common but if the .003 doesn't bind up- it ought to produce more power, etc.

I like them both authenticity aside. That sure looks pretty cool!

I'm new to Colt model BP revolvers and only own a few. I'm not familiar with what was actually spec by print. I'll tell you what though, one of mine has a 3-4 thou gap and that's the one I have the least fun with. I was going to open it up a bit, but figuring it might be more accurate I held off. It turns out that practically speaking it's no more accurate, and I do tend to compulsively chase after my best shooting.

I'll bet you do lose a fairly insignificant amount of velocity between .003-.008 like Red Owl surmised. With a brass frame I'd think it wise to keep the endshake tight. With a steel frame, I'd just rather shoot for hours and clean in the garage instead of on the range.

Back