• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit the effect of the vinegar on the brass looks great! Thanks for the explanation :thumb:

I have to admit the effect of the vinegar on the brass looks great! Thanks for the explanation :thumb:
I find suspending the brass pieces over the vinegar works real well. The fumes from the vinegar work to evenly patina the brass. Turn the parts over every half hour or so that all the surfaces are exposed evenly. Keep doing this until the desired color is reached. Some good You Tube videos on aging brass. Here is a good one. How to Antique Brass - Leathercrafting Tips - YouTube

I find suspending the brass pieces over the vinegar works real well. The fumes from the vinegar work to evenly patina the brass. Turn the parts over every half hour or so that all the surfaces are exposed evenly. Keep doing this until the desired color is reached. Some good You Tube videos on aging brass. Here is a good one. How to Antique Brass - Leathercrafting Tips - YouTube
Hawk, what type of vinegar is recommended? I know there are different types.

I've always liked the "service worn" look.
I have a few steel frame Ubertis, I just like how the brass frame Colt clones look. I picked up 2 of the .36's when stuff was still cheap and a Pietta brasser was a sub-$200 gun brand new, 2 I got used for almost free and I just got the .44 for about $150

I just take the hammer , loading lever, all the screws , cylinder and barrel and put them in a foil roasting tray, cover them with vinegar, move the parts around every few hours and the next day I pull them out and hit everything with Action Blaster.

I think it gives the guns a neat "service worn" look since the Confederate gunmakers probably would have used a browning or a fragile blue that would have quickly worn off

All of the original Schneider & Glassick, and Griswold revolvers are "gunmetal" but likely because they were all used hard.

I let the brass darken up naturally with just powder residue and handling

The white vinegar zips the blue right off the barrel and cylinder in less than a day

I soak the fake case hardened parts too to "dull" the color to make them match the gun metal

Latest posts

Back