• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy Pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the pepperboxes were double action.
I've always wondered why it took the revolver companies in America such a long time to sell the double action revolvers?
Yah, there were a few on the market like the Mass. Arms Co's Adams Patent revolver and the Starr Arms Co's D.A, 1858 revolver but none of them sold like the single action Colt's.
America was slow overall to get away from the old Thumb Buster, I always thought it was neat that the Colt Model P soldiered on into the 1890s and beyond in military service before we adopted DA revolvers. Most European armies had gone with DA revolvers in the early 1870s. We just love our SA Colts in America.

My theory is just that Colt was so dominant (and still is) in the American military contract game and Colt wasn't going to a DA. Remington just stayed with a cost effective weapon, and the old head Generals on the Army Ordnance Dept board wouldn't have approved new Double Action sidearms and probably deemed them too difficult to maintain in the field.

Because of the Rollin White patent I honestly feel percussion revolvers were obsolete overall by the 1850s but politics and $$ being what it is, the percussion revolvers were around for a long time , even in Europe.

I'll have to ask the people of Quora what the last military force was to carry Percussion revolvers.

Quora is where I learned that the Army of Yemen showed up to WWI with P53 Enfields and some Belgian reserve units took Lorenz rifles to the front in the opening months of the war. Whether any were fired in combat, not likely but still , Mind = Blown, uniformed soldiers marching into France with P53 Enfields in 1914.

Well, not exactly useless. It’s not historical, but I know the sight of SIX barrels shoved in my face will change my mind. Maybe useful in jurisdictions where modern handguns are hard to obtain.....

Cabelas has those, saw them in the case yesterday. $229 I believe, didn't get one, not really interested.

I don’t really like the “Navy” pepperbox, but this thread makes me miss the he old kit built pepperbox I had at one time.

Back