• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1851 Navy Pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GomezMunoz1951

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Interesting gun for sure. It looks like it'd be a fun little plinker. There are a few videos of these being shot on youtube. :thumb:

There was a guy did a youtube show on this revolver sometime ago. I think his was a Pietta. I think if you missed with your shooting, then with that heavy cylinder you club somebody senseless. I would bet they would be a lot of fun to take to range. You would have a crowd after the booms of the first cylinder. GM51, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
No worry about chain fires :)

I actually like Pepperboxes but more the old school pistols with the double action mechanism and "bag grip ".

The pepperbox 1851 Navy looks like Pietta was "let's just make a half a revolver into a pepperbox type thing "

I read somewhere that I think Colt experimented with a similar Pepperbox type gun on a revolver frame so it may be loosely based on something real

The "Navy Pepperbox Pistol" looks totally stupid to me.

There is no way to actually aim it because it doesn't have sights. I'm sure the chambers in the cylinder are not rifled and, the maker didn't even take the time to remove the two barrel lug pins in the frame.

It's an answer to a question no one would ask. I give it two thumbs down. :(

The "Navy Pepperbox Pistol" looks totally stupid to me. I'm sure the chambers in the cylinder are not rifled

My sentiments, also, but the cylinder length is what intrigues me for a possible Frankengun. The cylinder is smoothbore.

the maker didn't even take the time to remove the two barrel lug pins in the frame.

Thus it is in the world of Pietta. The arbor also has the wedge slot hidden by the cylinder length.

I am toying with the idea of procuring one, cutting down the cylinder length just enough to mate up to a modified/shortened barrel lug and forcing cone to create a Navy .36 Walker/Dragoon .36. Just in the fantasy stage so far, and it won't be cheap to do so.

Hey, it's a Pietta, so all things are possible. ;)

Regards,

Jim

With brass knuckles built into the grip, and a folding dagger, I’d carry one. E a good defensive weapon for up close.

Someone swapped a birds head grip frame from a Pietta Snubbie 1860 onto a pepperbox and it looked pretty neat.

Could easily remove the frame studs.

No worries about "timing " etc , but loading might be tedious unless a cylinder loader would work.

They expect you to tap .375 balls down those barrels or are we talking .350 balls and a patch?

I got my latest BudK catalog and they are selling a "1851 Pepperbox". Basically it is a 1851 .36 revolver without a barrel. You load the cylinders and fire right out of the cylinder. I wager the range is terrible but up close it might be deadly.... It is made by Pietta. Looks kinda cute...
https://www.budk.com/1851-Navy-Pepperbox-Black-Powder-Pistol-Caseharden-47522
This makes me wonder the danger of a multi ignition in regular revolvers. Supposedly there have been no serious injuries, but how can that be, if this just fires from the cylinder and is a "Belly Gun"

I'm sorry, I cannot see the rationale of the "Colt pepperbox". If you are going to make a pepperbox, surely it would be more satisfactory to make something more like this an honest design.
Parker Percussio Pepperbox (1).JPG

The "Navy Pepperbox Pistol" looks totally stupid to me.

There is no way to actually aim it because it doesn't have sights. I'm sure the chambers in the cylinder are not rifled and, the maker didn't even take the time to remove the two barrel lug pins in the frame.

It's an answer to a question no one would ask. I give it two thumbs down. :(
Speaking of questions that haven’t been (shouldn’t be) asked...
Some enterprising soul could graft an extension onto the frame and arbor and come up with a .36 Maximum cap and ball... hoo boy!😂😂😂

They expect you to tap .375 balls down those barrels or are we talking .350 balls and a patch?

Good question. You could use one of those cap-and-ball loading presses at the range, but in the field? I'm not sure. Maybe patched balls and a rammer? :dunno:

I'm sorry, I cannot see the rationale of the "Colt pepperbox". If you are going to make a pepperbox, surely it would be more satisfactory to make something more like this an honest design.View attachment 59468
Now That’s more like it!
Looks a lot like this one Allen’s Patent 1837.
Double action cycles incredibly smooth.

Attachments

• EA5D266A-6263-4D24-BD99-2CDFA6C51278.jpeg
    EA5D266A-6263-4D24-BD99-2CDFA6C51278.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DFC1C4EA-6202-4020-AA44-C122FC3520E0.jpeg
    DFC1C4EA-6202-4020-AA44-C122FC3520E0.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
A lot of the pepperboxes were double action.
I've always wondered why it took the revolver companies in America such a long time to sell the double action revolvers?
Yah, there were a few on the market like the Mass. Arms Co's Adams Patent revolver and the Starr Arms Co's D.A, 1858 revolver but none of them sold like the single action Colt's.

Back