• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Navy or 1861 Navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I've been looking at some Uberti cap & ball revolvers online. Looking at pictures of them I can't help but wonder what is the difference between the 1851 Navy London Steel Frame revolver and the 1861 Navy Steel Frame revolver?

Is one any better?

The only difference is the barrel and rammer design. They both function the same.

Don

The 1858 is a Remington, not a Colt. It has a full frame (stronger design) but many feel that the grip size & shape on the Colt fits their hand much better. If possible, try handling both designs - then if possible, buy both :grin:

Yep, the barrel and rammer are the only difference so it basically just comes down to which one you like best. I like both. :thumbsup:

Marc Adamchek said:
OK, I've been looking at some Uberti cap & ball revolvers online. Looking at pictures of them I can't help but wonder what is the difference between the 1851 Navy London Steel Frame revolver and the 1861 Navy Steel Frame revolver?

Is one any better?

Well, I don't know what better would be. The '61 is heftier if that matters. The '51 has a better point in the hand... but, that's my hand.
And .36 caliber 1858 Remington is another class all by itself. Designed a conical for it that has worked out well, that I really like.

Either Colt Navy is fine. The 1851 was the more common, that is, more were manufactured but the 1861 Navy has often been dubbed the best looking Colt of all. I am not sure (I have never shot one) but the 1861 has a blade front sight whereas the 1851 had a post that usually shoots low at 25/50 yards. Try to find out if the 1861 with the blade front sight shoots close to point of aim- might be a deciding factor.
ALSO notice that the loading port or cut where you put in the ball is larger on the 1861 Navy. One trouble with the 1851 Navy is that a couple of wadcutter type conicals have a tight fit getting them into the chamber. The larger cut on the 1861 is an improvement.
As has already been stated, the 1851 is ten years earlier and might have a factor depending on if that is important to you.

I agree with BillinOregan. The Colt 1861 is the prettiest of them all. The 1861 frame is same as the 1851 it is just from the barrel junction forward that is the difference. Personally I would get a Pietta, but that is just me.

I hope you end up with both. I know I will someday.

If they are both in .36 cal I would just flip a coin, I would not be able to decide.

Marc
I have 8 different models or variations of cap & ball revolvers, if you don’t count duplicates.

I like the 1851 the best.

William Alexander

Tinker, is your preference based on aesthetics or are there additional reasons the 1851 has won your heart?

FYI - I've got an 1861 en route, but I just KNOW I'll be getting an 1851 sometime soon, because of its wide historical use, but also because I just think it looks great.

I love the sleek profile of the 1860/1861 barrel but it's hard not to be attracted to the `51's octagon. Both is the only reasonable answer.

I think the gun you are getting is gorgeous looking. You should be happy with it. Anyways it is just a start.

It has been a long time ago and I am sure the problems have been fixed by now but I had five that the
ratchet on the barrel striped out on them. I would not worry about any of the newer ones.

I like the look of the octagon barrel and my eyes automatically level the gun right & left.
I shoot a .380 ball, and mine shoot mostly right on at 75 yds. I do like them all.

Enjoy and keep safe.
William Alexander

I think some things just look right....a Harley is what a motorcycle should look like, and a 1851 Navy Colt just looks right for a pistol to me... :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back