• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1851 Navy .36 - Load Data???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small pistol powder flask with a 20 grain spout. I just put my finger over the end and depress the flask button then let it close. I pour straight into the cylinder that way. Saves some time and throws about 18 grains every time. 18 grains is plenty in my 36. I shoot the same 18 gr load and load the same way in my Ruger old army for target matches. I’m too lazy to measure each cylinder in a measure when the way I do it brings home the ribbons.

Can't say anything about steel drums. Tommy gun, as I don't hunt them.
But with 9 grains, I get no hide damage, and nothing but a ball shaped lump in the hide on the other side for body shots, and it goes clean through their head. Which is what I normally aim, and on head shots, the ball lodges in the tree trunk, which is what I want. I always stalk and circle the squirrel to get in line with the tree trunk before shooting so it stops trunk so it stops my ball. And the low noise and low energy makes it pretty safe and peaceful when hunting adjacent to properties.

Never shot at a drum though, and probably won't. Just saying. I also use goex and Swiss black powder. I don't bother with anything else. But my understanding is the loads do come out the same with pyrodex and then triple 7 runs about 15% hotter.

20201125_150223.jpg20201122_162212.jpg20201121_155620.jpg20201121_135151.jpg

Last edited:
20g 3f in brass frame, 25g 3f in steel. You might as well shoot a nice load and not a pooper.
Also, as Ellmer Keith said the ball load is a better stopper than a 38. Don't believe it?, Shoot a 2 x 4 with both and look at how the round ball blows the back side out of the wood. That ball smashes down into a much larger size with razor edges which never happens with a bullet. Have fun, shoot some wood and see !

You tuber Guns of the West makes and sells a paper cartridge former kit for 36 revolvers that includes a 17 grain powder measure. Some other kits call for 20 grains. I have never even handled a bp revolver but am looking to get a 1851 Navy in the near future so I read and watch everything I can.

What ever works for you is the best charge to use One that meets the accuracy requirements for your use.
My preference is 15 grains FFFg and lube felt (Mike Beliveau style) and a hand cast ball. (357" I think) but this is just plinking and can chasing load. It is not a serious target load. because I am not a target shooter.
Good luck and keep making smoke
Bunk
Using 15 gr of triple 7 , the bullet would not pierce a 55 gallon drum at 30 yards. My .22 Henry rifle goes through both sides at the same distance.
just sayin.....
If I am ever attacked by a 55 gallon drum my .52 Sharps and a 420 grain bullet backed by 50 grains FFg powder should do the job,
Bunk

What ever works for you is the best charge to use One that meets the accuracy requirements for your use.
My preference is 15 grains FFFg and lube felt (Mike Beliveau style) and a hand cast ball. (357" I think) but this is just plinking and can chasing load. It is not a serious target load. because I am not a target shooter.
Good luck and keep making smoke
Bunk

If I am ever attacked by a 55 gallon drum my .52 Sharps and a 420 grain bullet backed by 50 grains FFg powder should do the job,
Bunk
Yeah, my 45/70 and a 405 grain LRN , will kick the drum down the road also.

Bunk

I think there is typo here. The ball size for a 36 caliber revolver will be either 0.375" or 0.380".

Well, I found the #10 caps. Locally , I am glad for that.
I searched all over the fingerlakes area....nothing.
I found a tin of 100 on Gunbroker.com and the guy wanted $43 for a tin. I said No thank you,.
My local gun shop says $6.99 a tin.
senecagunsports.com.

For larger volume measures copper tubing works pretty good. Flattening one end seals it off and makes a good place to attach a lanyard. Internal volume can be adjusted by cutting the length and fine tuned by how much flattening you do. Making them for shotgun I put one lanyard hole in the powder measure and double (two) holes in the shot measure to keep from getting confused. If you want the bottom end bluntly rounded then a whittled stick inside during the end flattening can help.

For small volumes a formed bottle neck like on a 25-20 or 32-20 case is handy. Soldering on a wire handle is easy.
measures.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back