• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Colt Navy Loaded For Two Years

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been in and out of my car, around the house etc.... Decided to give it a go, and all cylinders went off perfectly :thumbsup:

I consider the cap and ball revolvers to be very reliable

fff Goex, with bore butter over cylinder.

I'm not surprised at all. I have been thinking of loading up one of my cap n ball revolvers and using it as as a carry gun when working around my property. Thanks for posting.

I keep mine loaded and have no problems, although its never more than a few weeks at a time. Carried the Walker throughout gun season in cold and rainy weather, all fired perfectly.

I once let my ruger old army go for about 6 months without being fired an I carried it in less than desirable weather but when I did fire it all went off just like always :thumbsup:

I've been shooting and carrying C&B revolvers since the 70s. Carrying in the woods, and on the farm. I keep a couple loaded at the house all the time. Never, had a problem with loads. Unless, your in the habit of going swimming with your gun, if its properly cleaned and loaded, its as reliable as any other gun. Little slow on the reload, but that's why I have two.

I have read in the past, that they used candle wax to create a seal around the nipple and cap. You guys ever try that?

Don't think I'd wanna try melting wax around the nipples! :grin: But you could grease them, if you want. :wink:

Due to the economy I have not had a chance to keep up with the forum, but, I recently shot my '58 remmie and my 3rd Mod. dragoon after letting them sit loaded for over 8 months and both shot just fine. There are posts that report guns that have been loaded for over a decade and still fired. I think they would still shoot o.k. after 100 years if they were kept dry. :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would leave a BP pistol loaded for two years. :idunno:
Maybe I'm slow.......

we had a 'dog problem' (actually it was a neighbor problem) and i walked around my farm for a while with my Ruger Old Army. It was loaded for about a year and the cylinders all fired, in celebration of the jerk leaving town after his visa expired.

I never left my .36 High Standard loaded for two years but did for several months at a time.
Back in the 70's it was my one and only carry gun.
Being 19 I had little choice at the time. I did grease it with petroleum jelly since I feared corrosion with the standard of lard or crisco.
I wore It while riding a motorcycle in various weather and it never failed to fire. No swimming though. :) My next revolver was a 4 inch , 28 Smith.

CaptainKirk said:
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would leave a BP pistol loaded for two years. :idunno:
Maybe I'm slow.......

It is actually my go to gun, that I keep in my Jeep. I went on a camping trip, and decided to fire it off.

An unloaded gun is great for driving nails

I left my colt navies uncleaned for 1.5 years after a cowboy shoot do to a hectic move to a new home. I found them, loaded them and they fired fine. No rust anywhere, butt I do use quite a bit of lube over the ball so they're pretty greasy. They still haven't been cleaned and are loaded and capped in my shop at the moment. When I get sick of engraving I step out the door and blast away with them then reload them.....no problemo.
I have no doubt you could leave these guns loaded indefinably with out concern about dependability.

Great post and experience , I like SAGE reports alot :wink:
While Wild Bill shot his off everyday after loading , it sure isn't essential , your experience quite proves that .

Kelly Reb :thumbsup:

I've left my '58 Remmy and ROA loaded for months and they fired fine, I've had my Remmy loaded since June, stored in the dry of course.
I use a short lenght of wooden dowel to press the caps (10's) on the nipples snugly so apparently no moisture gets past.
also I seal over the slug with my grease/wax mix for lube I doubt it adds to moisture proofing as the slugs (sometimes I use balls) shave a ring off and fit tightly.

Finger nail polish painted around the caps is probably going to work better than wax.

Many Klatch

Many Klatch said:
Finger nail polish painted around the caps is probably going to work better than wax.

Many Klatch
This^. I use primer sealant myself, but they're darned near the same thing. My guns don't get left loaded on purpose. Sometimes it just so happens that I load them in anticipation of a range trip, only to have something come up. Before you know it, subzero temps are here and I have to wait for the next season. I don't mind shooting in the cold, but the fingers get too numb to fumble with loading a magazine, let alone trying to handle caps. I did learn that I can load a percussion revolver long term and count on it to go boom, if it's the closest thing at hand when a gun is really needed, even if it's not my first choice for an emergency. There's talk of an indoor range being planned out my way that would allow BP-crossing my fingers.

Back