• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1850s British Pepperbox Revolver Wont fire Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was given by a friend to clean and to see if it works (thinking of making an offer to buy if price is right) an original 1850s British Pepperbox .40 cal round ball revolver. It was pretty dirty spent time disassembling and cleaning. The action does works well, no issues at all. Only problem is the hammer strikes all the nipples equally on the end of the hammer not the center. So I squeezed on #10 caps (no powder or rounds) and worked the action striking all the cap. The hammer did strike all of the 6 cap and none ignited. Tried attaching a thin brass shim under the hammer where it strikes the caps, and still no ignition.

I did notice, and have not attempted to remove yet a screw under the rear arm of the hammer and I did not attempt to play with the screws for any adjustments inside the pistol spring mechanism. Just wondering if there is some adjustment so the hammer can reach out just a hair so the center of the hammer will cleanly strike the caps, with more force or maybe an adjustment of the spring to increace the striking force. I did measure the height of the nipples and the caps making sure they do fit and seal properly.

The hammer face is flat (on the bottom side but looking at a side view when it hits all the caps on the nipple its striking at the end part of the hammer. I did check closely and did properly reassemble it, the chamber does not move further into the frame, so I'm left with seeing if the hammer can be moved forward (if that's the issue.)

Attachments

• IMG_9744.jpg
    IMG_9744.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9743.jpg
    IMG_9743.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9760.jpg
    IMG_9760.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9761.jpg
    IMG_9761.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9740.jpg
    IMG_9740.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 0
An interesting transition revolver. If the face of the hammer is flat, not cupped, and it is striking the nipples evenly then the problem is elsewhere. Note; assuming the caps are fully seated in your tests. There is a possibility the hammer stops a little too short to fully crush the caps. In a good quality revolver the hammer should stop just a little short of striking the nipple but it may be a little too short in this case. Do the nipples show evidence of being shortened by dryfiring? The only other thing I can think of is a weak mainspring which would require annealing, rebending and re heat treating it. I can't see where there would be any kind of adjustment inside the gun.

I would enjoy seeing some photos of the assembled gun. It looks to be a quality piece and in very good condition.

That is a very neat piece

I'd say that, the original Mercuric caps were more sensitive and easier to pop, so the modern , thicker CCI caps with the new primer are not able to be popped with that mainspring , in a gun made 100+ years prior to the design of CCI caps

There doesn't seem to be a lot of weight to that hammer and not a lot of travel vs say a Colt hammer that swings down with more force

If you have any RWS caps laying around they may just pop

The Exhisting nipples look as if they have been flattened down by dry firing and shortened. They should have more of a cutting edge to the top. Not that large flat. Most of my originals measure
approx .438"(7/32")from the top of the thread to the top.Is there excessive play in the Hammer pivot pin backwards & forward?
Have been let down by CCI several times. I'm lucky ,I hoarded Joyce(ELEY) caps for years.Still have a few. Fiocchi Brass caps are sensetive but Hard and corrosive.. B.O.L. Nice pistol Any name anywhere.. The H.Holland,Now Holland & Holland. Quite Famous.LOL. O.D..

We tried get it to ignite a few caps still it was very difficult. Looking and comparing the nipples from the photo Auldjin posted best reason this Pepperbox must have been dry fired a lot flattening the nipples. I checked again inside the Pepperbox no adjustments and the action and parts all seem to move properly. Bottom line Im not going to mess with this Pepperbox any further risking any damage to it. My guess the nipples are just ruin over the decades of dry firing. Its not mine as I was helping a close friend who still decided to keep it as a display. Which is fine. I want to thank you guys for comments. dont really know who makes it, though it might be English made. This was the only writing stamped on it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.46.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 4.46.40 PM.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
We tried get it to ignite a few caps still it was very difficult. Looking and comparing the nipples from the photo Auldjin posted best reason this Pepperbox must have been dry fired a lot flattening the nipples. I checked again inside the Pepperbox no adjustments and the action and parts all seem to move properly. Bottom line Im not going to mess with this Pepperbox any further risking any damage to it. My guess the nipples are just ruin over the decades of dry firing. Its not mine as I was helping a close friend who still decided to keep it as a display. Which is fine. I want to thank you guys for comments. dont really know who makes it, though it might be English made. This was the only writing stamped on it.
Its English bet me boots on it . Wise choice
Regards Rudyard

too bad you could not get it working... Yes, those cones have been flattened and shortened from repeated strikes (maybe dry firing?)

Well, that is not really a "pepperbox" This is a pepperbox:
1672097313314.png

Your's has a similar lockwork, but pepperboxes are multi-barreled guns... the cylinder forming the barrels. I would not attempt to fire a gun that old. Right now, even in non-working condition, it is worth well... SOMETHING. Once you break something, you cannot order any parts and your gun is just a paperweight.

Back