• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1850s backlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a backlock rifle. I was told,and a card that came with it, is it was made in the 1850s by J.D. Winchell. Mr Winchell was a road commissioner in Hillsdale County Michigan in 1860s. Barrel is 30in muzzle to breach plug first 10in is octagon to round, only stamp underneath is Remington steel. gun is 45cal. It has brass butt plate and trigger guard ,pin and nose cap are pewter. backlock has no markings I could see. It has set trigger, have to set rear to cock( no half cock) .stock is probably refinished but barrel patina seems original. Judging by research I think it is a northern Kentucky/southern Ohio build half stock .any information on style or maker is appreciated. Thanks,
IMG_20221010_151106.jpg
IMG_20221010_150911.jpg
IMG_20221010_150850.jpg
Bruce
IMG_20221010_150838.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221010_151106.jpg
    IMG_20221010_151106.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The strong curve, or "fish belly," in the lower butt line, along with the short forestock grip area and walnut wood, all tend to support a Michigan origin. It's also a little hard to argue against a signed barrel, which looks great on your rifle and documents your gun as the work of James D. Winchell, Michigan gunsmith of Hillsdale in Hillsdale Co. where you gun was made. He is well covered in Jim Kelly's book, "Michigan Gunsmiths." Winchell was born in Vermont about 1826 and was working in Michigan at least by 1854 and probably earlier. He first worked at Addison of Lenawee Co. based on an old history book stating he took over the gun shop of Isaac Parker upon Parker's death in Addison. Winchell spent most of his years in Hillsdale, with his last years at Sidney in Montcalm Co., where he died in March of 1873. A few of his known guns have "Hillsdale" stamped after his name. It's not a common gun, so you are fortunate to have it.

Shelby Gallien

Tanslman thanks so much for the information. sometimes when you try to go on info from buyers it is imbellished. it's great to be part of this forum there's so much wisdom and help here.

Latest posts

Back