• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1842 Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just getting back into muzzleloaders after a long hiatus. I have an Italian 1842 .69 smoothbore that Zimmerman de-farbed many years ago. Would a .665 ball work with any accuracy? I shot this many years ago with .680 balls in a paper cartridge and they did ok but I do not have a RB mold that size. I only have a .665 and a .690 molds. Also what size nipple is used in this/ I would like to get a spare.

It is possible that the 0.690 balls may work using a wad of shredded jute twine. Cut tow or three six inch long lengths of jute or manila fiber twine. Pull the fibers apart. Make a golf ball size of the loose strands of twine and wrap the nest around the ball to load. Of course, measure the bore to verify that you have clearance for the 0.690 ball.

Track of the Wolf has 0.678" ball.
Balls & shot for muzzle loading guns - Track of the Wolf

If you use your 0.665" ball, you will need patching that compresses to 0.013" to take up the difference between the bore diameter and the ball. Probably a patch thickness before compression of 0.020".

Last edited:
Depending on which Italian manufacturer made your musket, the nipple might be 5/16" x 24 TPI, but more likely 8mm x 1mm. I would check the musket to verify the manufacturer name and the date of manufacture, and then call either Regimental Quartermaster or Lodgewood Mfg. for advice. Lodgewood has a gunsmith on site, but I don't see that they actually sell replacement nipples in 8mm x 1mm. Regimental Quartermasters definitely sells nipples, and their staff are very knowledgeable even if they aren't actually gunsmiths. Track of the Wolf also sells all sizes of musket nipples, and they could probably advise you of the correct size to order.

Regarding the date of manufacture, you should find a little box stamped on the barrel near the breech, with two letters in it. this is your "date code," which you can check against this chart for the year of manufacture:

Italian Date Codes.jpg

Many thanks, by the way, to whoever posted that chart on this forum in the first place. I saved it on my computer, and it has come in mighty handy on several occasions.

Depending on exactly where the date code was stamped, there is a chance it may have been removed in the defarbing process. The date of manufacture may or may not make a difference in the nipple. I think Pedersoli uses the historically correct 5/16" x 24 nipples in their musket replicas, but I don't believe they have ever made an M1842. You could just order one nipple of each size and try them (carefully) in your musket. They don't really cost that much, and you could probably return the one you don't need for a refund or exchange.

Anyway, good luck with your musket, @6thtexas , and welcome back to muzzleloading! I have an Italian M1842 defarbed by Todd Watts, and it is absolutely one of my favorite guns. And yes, the defarbing is worth the price, not just for authenticity, but it makes a slimmer, better-handling gun.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
It's most likely an ArmiSport, I'd use .648 ball that you can get from TotW and make paper cartridges.

My Pedersoli 1816 percussion conversion shoots baseball sized groups at 50 yards with loose .648 balls and wadding on top, or paper cartridges.

Back