Quantcast

1842 EIC Musket

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else out there owns one of these. I bought it on a whim for a reasonable price but until lately hadn't had a chance to do much with it. Unlike most of the other smoothbores I own, it does have a rear sight. On my last outing I was shooting with some friends (6 feet apart. LOL) and I was amazed at it's 50 yard accuracy. Once I found the right ball/patch fit, Which, by the way, was a .760 ball and a fairly thick patch and 80 grains FG. I think it must be at least 80 caliber. I was able to keep five shots on a target 8x8 inches off hand. I amazed myself. My friends each had to try it and did equally as well. Maybe it was the rear sight, I don't know, but it sure was fun.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I`ve got the Tower Pattern 1839 version in a bess stock. Yours looks nicer than mine ever will...

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I`ve got the Tower Pattern 1839 version in a bess stock. Yours looks nicer than mine ever will...
When I first got it, it had an almost blackish color to the stock. I used some wood cleaner and scrubbed it until it took on the original brown color. There was a lot of oil/grime/paint or stain? etc. Then I rubbed a few coats of Lindseed oil in so it looks a lot better now than it did at first. I have an original Springfield 42 as well that is in even nicer shape. When I get around to it, I'll post a picture.

Last edited:

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Mine is in a butchered repro Bess stock.... someone tried in letting with a Dremel. Much wood was added in and reshaped...i am looking for ways to add grime, oil, paint and stain to Create a blackish colour to hide the sins that a light coat of oil will highlight.
should i ever come across another ‘39 stock, i`ll move the metal

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what thread size is on the nipple on that? I need to replace mine, but i know it is going to most likely enfield threads. No idea if Parker-Hale enfield nipples will fit.

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just have one picture for now, I can post more later.View attachment 43862View attachment 43862
That's a nice photographic portrait of an interesting and under-appreciated gun. I'm sure it's a lot of fun to shoot! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

I have an Italian-made M1842 Springfield smoothbore that was defarbed by Todd Watt. It is a nice musket... One of my "keepers." I need to get it out and shoot it again.

Notchy Bob

FlinterNick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Mine is in a butchered repro Bess stock.... someone tried in letting with a Dremel. Much wood was added in and reshaped...i am looking for ways to add grime, oil, paint and stain to Create a blackish colour to hide the sins that a light coat of oil will highlight.
should i ever come across another ‘39 stock, i`ll move the metal
Try mixing dark mahogany colored mica powder with epoxy ! It really blends out inletting errors and gaps well enough and then use a dark stain and dark oil finish like a dark colored Tung oil. It will never be perfect, but I’ve had some nice resales with those repairs.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I`ll have to look that up, the mica powder. I`ve gotten rid of most of the Dremel marks, Mostly scraping with a utility knife. good thing the 1839 is much slimmer than a Bess. Do have to add a bit at the toe of the butt, but that will be easy in comparison to rebuilding a lock panel and mortise