• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1841 Mississippi questions, (Pedersoli)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP, just find a used rifle you like and send it to Hoyt to have the twist and choice of rifling you prefer. You can even pick up a .58 and have him make it .54

This option will be cheaper than a new gun and you will have a better bore than any made in Italy. You are making this way harder than it needs to be.

Also, I don’t understand your concern with the 1-48 twist. Every Hawken made in St Louis was 1-48.

My original barreled .54 1841 is a 1-48. At 75 yards I will put your eye out with it…you tell me which one. At 100 the group is the size of my palm.

where are you getting your info?

Apples and Oranges ..... with Apples being PRB rifling vs. Oranges being rifling more suited for lead bullets of the Minie/Burton or Prichartt type.

The rifling depth, around .010 +/-, on Hawken type rifles (Apples) is different than the depth of the musket 'type' rifling, which are around .005 +/-.

As for my information regarding 1:48 HAWKEN barrels? Spent a couple of weeks with an Army buddy messing around with this father's rifle (CVA I think?) back in the early '90s trying to get it to shoot any decent groups - best was around 8-9 inches at 100 yards. We changed out balls (.490 and .495), different patch lubes (store bought and home made), powder loads of 50gr up to 100gr, and pillow ticking (.010 to .022) with disappointing, and frustrating results. Since that time I have shot many matches as well as informal range sessions with other shooters with 1:48 barreled Hawken / Plains type rifles and the results with those guns were all usually poor with a couple that were marginal at best. Almost every one of them that I let shoot my 2012 purchased GPR with 1:60 twist caused them to either purchase a GPR, sell or retire their 1:48 guns, or purchase replacement barrels with PRB barrels for said guns.

Brazosland, you got yours to work and I am happy for you. It's just that the general consensus, and my own experience, is that 1:48 barrels deliver marginal at best but piss-poor in general accuracy. I like accuracy, but more importantly, I have too much respect for game animals to shoot at them with hardware that produces marginal accuracy. Yes, the original Hawken / Plains type rifles were 1:48, but if these barrels were such great shooters, why are / were there so many other models produced with PRB twist barrels out there? Why did Lyman, through InvestArm, offer a 1:60 twist barrel (just to name an example)? On a similar note, why the hell did Lyman let Pedersoli change the .50 caliber on the new Great Plains Signature rifle to 1:48? Big, huge, mistake.

I believe we will have to agree to dissagree concerning the type of ammo the 1841 was designed to fire. In fact the US M1841 was the last military rifle designed to shoot patched round ball. Many were re-barreled to .58 so as to fire the same minies as the "rifled muskets" of the War of Northern Aggression.

My own 1841 ordered from Euroarms in the original .54 caliber shoots best, accuracy-wise, with prb but not so much with any conical. As far as I can tell the rifling is .006" deep with a 1-66" twist, ideal for round ball. I've found the rifle to be extremely accurate with powder charges from 60 grains to 110 grains of 3F. At the time I ordered my 1841 I had to "special order" it to be able to get it in .54, and that required a good bit of wait time. I consider the 1841 to be the most handsome military rifle ever produced.
According to an old Dixie Gunworks catalog, the Euroarms .54 cal Model 1841 “Mississippi “ barrel rifling is 1/48” 5 land 5 groove, .005.

Also, I don’t understand your concern with the 1-48 twist. Every Hawken made in St Louis was 1-48.

My original barreled .54 1841 is a 1-48. At 75 yards I will put your eye out with it…you tell me which one. At 100 the group is the size of my palm.

where are you getting your info?
Mine too! TC Renegade, .54.

Latest posts

Back