• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1841 Mississippi questions, (Pedersoli)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boom Stick

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I've read through several pages of older posts regarding the 1841 Mississippi rifle, but I did not see any information that covered my questions. I did read that the different manufacturers (Repos) seem to have different rifling / twist rates and many references to Euroarms rifles.

I have become smitten with the 1841 Mississippi's looks and layout and am specifically looking at the rifles produced by Pedersoli as those are the only ones that I have seen offered. Did everyone else go out of business?

So, for those that currently own or owned one in the past ... regarding the .54 caliber rifle with the 7 groove, 1:48 twist barrel, how accurate is that configuration with a patch round ball? If the accuracy is so-so, kind of on par with the damned 1:48 twist Hawken barrels I may look to contacting Mr. Robert Hoyt and inquiring about a 1:60 barrel, like the originals, to replace the 1:48 twist. It's just me, but I have a hang up regarding 1:48 barrels for patch round balls and is why I have the 'original' Lyman GPR with the 1:60 barrel.

Any help / information is most appreciated.

To confuse you even more
I have a custom 1841 Mississippi 1851 Harpers Ferry Conversion Rifle in .58 caliber with a Whitacre Barrel that's 1:72.

Roger that. I am aware of the .58 caliber that Pedersoli offers with a 3 groove 1:72 twist. I am thinking of eventually getting one and either having it modified with a set of Enfield P1858 rifle sights. If it doesn't shoot well enough I will try to have it re-barreled with a 5 groove 1:48 twist, like the Enfield P1858 barrels, to shoot Pritchartt bullets.

First though, I want a .54 caliber PRB shooter.

Who customized your barrel / rifle for you, if I may ask? I'm assuming that it is a repo, correct?

I've read through several pages of older posts regarding the 1841 Mississippi rifle, but I did not see any information that covered my questions. I did read that the different manufacturers (Repos) seem to have different rifling / twist rates and many references to Euroarms rifles.

I have become smitten with the 1841 Mississippi's looks and layout and am specifically looking at the rifles produced by Pedersoli as those are the only ones that I have seen offered. Did everyone else go out of business?

So, for those that currently own or owned one in the past ... regarding the .54 caliber rifle with the 7 groove, 1:48 twist barrel, how accurate is that configuration with a patch round ball? If the accuracy is so-so, kind of on par with the damned 1:48 twist Hawken barrels I may look to contacting Mr. Robert Hoyt and inquiring about a 1:60 barrel, like the originals, to replace the 1:48 twist. It's just me, but I have a hang up regarding 1:48 barrels for patch round balls and is why I have the 'original' Lyman GPR with the 1:60 barrel.

Any help / information is most appreciated.
I have waisted a ton of $$$ trying to pattern my 1:48 Hawkens. Damn a 1:48 twist indeed.

Amen Hawk78. Pedersoli really P1$$ me off when they took over the GPR and put a 1:48 barrel on the .50 caliber rifle versus keeping it at the 1:60 that it had.

Too bad that Pedersoli did not offer the 1841 Mississippi .54 caliber rifle with a true PRB twist like it originally had ....

Is there no one out there in the forums that has the Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi in 54 caliber that has tried / shot it with PRBs?

Is there no one out there in the forums that has the Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi in 54 caliber that has tried / shot it with PRBs?
Folks I know shoot minies out of theirs with excellent results. Why go to PRB?

Folks I know shoot minies out of theirs with excellent results. Why go to PRB?

Hi Dave,

We are used to the decades of other than Pedersoli Mississippi rifles that came with .58 cal. minie' rifling. However, the newer Pedersoli's come with a .54 cal. 1in48 twist. I didn't realize this until fairly recently.

Gus

If you really want a fine Mississippi rifle see NSSA site and their for sale section or better yet see if you have someone whom you know that might be a member. The ones that i have seen have been re rifle by a barrel maker that does work for the NSSA members Also you most remember that this rifle was not built to shoot PRB

Roger that. I am aware of the .58 caliber that Pedersoli offers with a 3 groove 1:72 twist. I am thinking of eventually getting one and either having it modified with a set of Enfield P1858 rifle sights. If it doesn't shoot well enough I will try to have it re-barreled with a 5 groove 1:48 twist, like the Enfield P1858 barrels, to shoot Pritchartt bullets.

First though, I want a .54 caliber PRB shooter.

Who customized your barrel / rifle for you, if I may ask? I'm assuming that it is a repo, correct?
Originally it was an Italian repro but I sent it to Dan Whitacre to do the Harpers Ferry conversion (New barrel, Front and Rear sights, Bayonet lug, front band) Lock was also restamped with the Harpers Ferry Arsenal marks and so was the stock.
Had him do an 1855 Rifle for me as well

Thanks for the reply marshall. The problem is that I cannot find any information as to what the rifling depth is on the Pedersoli rifle. IF it is the same as on your Euroarms, that would be, I believe, a great set up for experimentation with a modified (.50 caliber version) of the Pritchett bullet. I would think that .005 would be a little shallow for PRB, but what do I know?

The difference, as I understand it, is the depth of the rifling. Marshall's is .005 depth. I bet your Renegade is .010 or .012 in depth.

Thanks for the reply marshall. The problem is that I cannot find any information as to what the rifling depth is on the Pedersoli rifle. IF it is the same as on your Euroarms, that would be, I believe, a great set up for experimentation with a modified (.50 caliber version) of the Pritchett bullet. I would think that .005 would be a little shallow for PRB, but what do I know?
Did you try emailing Pedersoli through their customer service? I have asked a couple of questions through them in the last few weeks and they responded to every one. Just give them the date code (2 letters in a box on the barrel) and serial number and ask your rifling depth question. Hope this helps.

If you really want a fine Mississippi rifle see NSSA site and their for sale section or better yet see if you have someone whom you know that might be a member. The ones that i have seen have been re rifle by a barrel maker that does work for the NSSA members Also you most remember that this rifle was not built to shoot PRB

I believe we will have to agree to dissagree concerning the type of ammo the 1841 was designed to fire. In fact the US M1841 was the last military rifle designed to shoot patched round ball. Many were re-barreled to .58 so as to fire the same minies as the "rifled muskets" of the War of Northern Aggression.

My own 1841 ordered from Euroarms in the original .54 caliber shoots best, accuracy-wise, with prb but not so much with any conical. As far as I can tell the rifling is .006" deep with a 1-66" twist, ideal for round ball. I've found the rifle to be extremely accurate with powder charges from 60 grains to 110 grains of 3F. At the time I ordered my 1841 I had to "special order" it to be able to get it in .54, and that required a good bit of wait time. I consider the 1841 to be the most handsome military rifle ever produced.

I believe we will have to agree to dissagree concerning the type of ammo the 1841 was designed to fire. In fact the US M1841 was the last military rifle designed to shoot patched round ball. Many were re-barreled to .58 so as to fire the same minies as the "rifled muskets" of the War of Northern Aggression.

My own 1841 ordered from Euroarms in the original .54 caliber shoots best, accuracy-wise, with prb but not so much with any conical. As far as I can tell the rifling is .006" deep with a 1-66" twist, ideal for round ball. I've found the rifle to be extremely accurate with powder charges from 60 grains to 110 grains of 3F. At the time I ordered my 1841 I had to "special order" it to be able to get it in .54, and that required a good bit of wait time. I consider the 1841 to be the most handsome military rifle ever produced.

And THIS is what I want and what I'm talking about. I have a .50 caliber GPR that I bought while deployed in 2012 and I do love it. I have really become enamored with the 1841 Mississippi and I am interested in that rifle as a PBR rifle, as it was manufactured ORIGINALLY, which was with a PBR twist. Why settle with a 'compromise, jack-of-all trades' 1:48 twist and the attendant accuracy issues?

I am considering a future project with the same type of rifle, but set up with the M1855 changes, ie., .58 caliber, and a set of repo sliding sights, but with the slight modification of 5 groove 1:48 twist like on the P58 and P61 Enfields as I want to play around with producing the Pritchartt type paper cartridges. This would be my conical (Prichartt/Burton/Minie) bullet rifle project.

Latest posts

Back