• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1841 8" howitzer carriage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a little (1/2" bore) barrel that matches the US 1841 8"siege howitzer and want to make a carriage for it. I found an image of such a gun mounted on what looks like a Marsilly (sp?) carriage. Solid little wheels are much easier to make than big spoked wheels so that is the type of carriage that I want to make. Anyone have a source for plans of such a gun carriage?

This is the best I can do.

Attachments

• Scan_20151212.jpg
    Scan_20151212.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 0
This is the best I can do.
Thanks for the reply. Unless I find more info, I will use your plan image to fill in missing size/shapes after scaling up the image of one of these guns sitting on a ship's deck (its a quarter view so not so easy to scale from).

A "DuckDuckGo" search found an on line copy (original held at Harvard U.) of "Ordnance Instructions for the United States Navy" 2nd ed 1860. On page 52 is a detailed drawing (plan & elevation) of a Marsilly carriage for a 9" Dahlgren. Thanks to Mrs Coot's computer skills, I now have a scale printout that should work fine for my 1/16 scale 8" siege howitzer (1/2" bore). Life is good! (most of the time).

Back