• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1841 1/2 scale carriage plans??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Hawkeye

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Looked at most of the references given in the Cannoneering Suppliers section but all I found was Dixie Gun Works Plans & Diagrams-BK1600 Artillery for Land Service of the U.S. 1849-1865 12 pdr. Gun Model 1841 Manual. Would this be a good set of plans to build a carriage for a 1/2 scale 1841 Cannon (with measurements appropriately reduced of course)? Are there other plans that anyone can recommend? Also, can you refer me to any sources for the miscellaneous metal parts associated with this carriage? I have some metal working capabilities, but may need to outsource some of that work. Thanks in advance!

Would these pictures help?

model-1841-6-pounder-field-gun.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I have seen several drawings (including the one Rich44 has shared) but I was just wondering if there are any drawings/plans with dimensions of all the wood parts. I have found the full scale metal parts, but have not been able to locate any 1/2 scale. I'm new to all this and am searching for info on how others build a 1/2 scale carriage. My partner & I have full wood milling & woodsmithing capabilities & the metal parts we can make or have them made locally. I just need a set of plans to guide us. Do the Dixie Gun Works plans have dimensions? Am I correct that the pics Rich44 has shown is of the No. 1 Field Carriage? Would a Prairie Carriage or No. 2 also work for a 1841 cannon?

When gathering information on building a semi scale model of a Civil War Cannon such as pictured in the recent post "Show and Tell". Links as below were used. Using these links will give you much better pictures to work with then was given in first post. After copy and pasting picture/drawing (I used Photoshop) the picture was scaled to fit what was needed. Meaning if the original carriage wheel is 48" in dia. then make the print a division of that helps. On a regular sheet of paper the scale number of 6 would make a good number. Keep changing the print size to get a wheel 8" in dia. (Different scales could be used for close ups for better accuracy). Taking for granted that the original drawing is to scale a set of Slide Calipers can be used to take measurements of different places and using the scale number to multiply can get you reasonably close to making your own blue print. Well at least this is one way of doing it when measurements are lacking..

civil war cannon blueprints - Google Search

Google Image Result for http://www.thomaslegion.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/partsofacannon.jpg

civil war cannon carriage plans - Google Search

Back